11 | Flirting With Knives

Skylor always believed she wasn't accustomed to violence. She valued human life just like any other person. However, the strong urge to throw the knife in her hand right into Kai's throat was overwhelming.

"Again!" He commanded, pacing back and forth behind the line of initiates who were aimlessly throwing knives at the wall covered in paint—that was made to look like a target.

Target practice. One of the many things Kai Smith had made them endure during their second week at the camps. However, Skylor thought it was the only bearable task they had to do. For the past few days, she had pushed her body past the limits she didn't even know existed.

"Time! You're slower than yesterday, Volunteer. Keep moving!" He had bellowed after she finished another turn at the Trim Trail. It didn't help that her body ached everywhere, making her slower than she usually was.

Skylor was panting, wiping the sweat from her brow she watched as Nya jogged up beside her. "What happened to your shoe?" She asked, catching a glimpse of her unprotected foot.

"The mud in the course demanded a sacrifice."

When she thought it was finally over, Skylor came to realize it had only been the first half of the day. She had barely sat down for lunch before the alarm rang and it was time for another round of training.

"Your upper body must be as strong as your lower. Climb up and reach the flag, it should be simple enough." Kai gave the long pole beside him a pat. Skylor had to squint, the sun's beams were simply too much for her eyes, and she still couldn't see the top of the pole.

From beside her, Nya murmured, "Maybe easy for you." which Skylor knew he managed to hear after shooting his sister a glare.

Kai wasted no time. He blew the whistle and demanded that each initiate had a go at climbing.

"You're kidding right?" He asked, hand on his hip with the most puzzled look on his face.

Princess Vania clung onto the pole like a koala sleeping on a tree branch. She was inches above the ground as her feet refused to go down, afraid that the sand would turn into lava.

"This is the highest I can go."

"You're barely an inch off the ground!"

Princess Harumi didn't even try, simply giving it a small tap—which still disgusted her as Skylor got a glimpse of the expression on her face—before moving to the back of the line. From behind her, Pixal waited patiently for her turn.

Skylor leaned back. "Do you know how to get up there?" She whispered, startling the girl.

"By my calculations, there is no way that any of us could get up there on the first try."

Kai's whistle rang in their ears and all eyes turned to him. Akita stood beside the boy, the flag in hand as she waved it in the air. Skylor could practically see the back of her head with how much she rolled her eyes.

Pixal leaned in, her gaze never leaving the girl. "Correction, most of us are incapable."

Lloyd had to reset the challenge, winching up another flag up the pole before standing on the side beside Kai to watch the rest of the initiates. When it was Skylor's turn, she mustered up every strength in her body to climb.

Apparently she didn't have any.

She slid down the pole one too many times to count, her face flushed with embarrassment. Skylor decided to give up and call it a day—not like she could embarrass herself any further.

"Good luck." She whispered as Pixal marched forward for her turn. Skylor could feel the fresh bruises form in her hands which showed no sign of getting better.