27 | The Real Deal

Why did war have to be so brutal and violent?

It was a question Jay asked everyday of his life ever since he was enlisted in the Army. But like most things, he never got his answer. He was taught the art of both defense and offense, a hundred ways to kill an enemy, and even what to do if you are taken hostage.

Skills he didn't think he needed until he was running for his life.

"Why are the Oni so fast?!" He complained to whoever could hear him, his whole body falling forward from his speed. Jay's face collided with the hot sand but was immediately pulled up by a strong grip.

"I don't know. But I don't think I want to find out!" Cole answered and helped him back on his feet.

It was already evening, the sun had gone down a few hours ago, leaving them covered in the darkness. But if anyone knew how to find people in the dark, let alone possible victims, it would be the Oni. Why did we start a fire? He complained internally.

It was bad enough that they were a good few miles away from camps, but starting a fire in the middle of the desert was probably the dumbest thing he has ever committed in his life.

Jay ran and ran but the dark clouds didn't seem to show any signs of retreat. In fact, they were only coming closer and closer. Moving faster than he ever could. But he didn't risk taking a look over his shoulder, they already haunted his dreams enough.

Why can I never have peace? It was a funny thing. A mere word was not enough to describe how important it would be for the country and its people. How it would change the course of the future generations and prevent the horrible sacrifices everybody made.  If peace would prevail on Ninjago, Jay doubted he would live long enough to see it happen.

But for now, there was no peace. Just battles to be fought and a war to be won.

However, no matter the odds, Jay would definitely like to live long enough to see tomorrow. Which was why he pushed himself to go faster, running for his life like he had been training for.

He could feel the coldness that came with the dark cloud, the eerie sense that the Oni's carried everywhere they went. But why would they come here of all places? Why not set up a proper meeting point?

Jay contemplated whether the sand had gotten into his brain. Of course the Oni weren't civilized enough to set up an actual meeting point. They went wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted, and killed on sight.

Cree–pee. He thought with a shudder then turned to Cole. "Why aren't you calling for backup?!"

"Do you have a phone?" He shot back with a glare.

"Well if you hadn't pushed me to my feet, then maybe I would have reached it."

There was a scoff. "I'm sorry." He knew Cole was being sarcastic. "For saving your life!"

"Well thank you, knight in shining armor!"

"Shut up both of you! They're on their way." Pixal informed them at the right moment. "ETA, four minutes." Jay could see a communicator in her hand as she ran, a wave of relief flushed through him.

Thank goodness we brought her. He knew well about her growing reputation amongst the new recruits under Kai's command. Perhaps it did him good to hang out with the trainees.

A set of black tendrils crawled out of the cloud, desperate to grab a hold of them, making their souls another victim of the war. Jay refused to turn back, no matter how far the camps were, he would crawl to them as long as it meant he'd be safe.