25 | Red Hair

Sixth hour

Singing and dancing was not how Cole expected his vacation day would go. But then again, his father had always been predictable.

"Come on, son. It's your turn!" Lou called out, handing the mic to his son.

Cole shook his hand. "No thank you, pops. You finish the verse."

They were at Laughy's karaoke bar with the rest of the Royal Blacksmiths. Filling their bellies with boba and noodles, while they sang their hearts out on the karaoke machine. Drinking down another glass of boba, Cole applauded as his father finished the song.

He arrived at the city first thing in the morning, even before the crowds gathered around the walls. His father was always punctual, a habit Cole had inherited, and was already at the gates before Cole could jump down from the truck.

"Cole!" The entire city probably heard his calls but the boy didn't care. He missed his father.

"Hey, pops!" He ran up to meet his father halfway, dropping the duffle bag in his hands to engulf his dad in a tight hug. "How've you been?"

"Better now that I know you're here." Lou sighed, pulling his son closer. "I got a letter about your incident, are you okay? Did they treat your wounds?"

"Of course they would. I don't think the army could afford to lose their demolition man."

After a quick visit to his mother in the graveyard, Cole was immediately dragged around the city, his father acting like a tour guide the whole time. He checked out the new shops that were established, got a lecture of the different music genres and which one was actually worth his time, and then he found himself sitting in the front row in a bar located on the south side of the city.

"Thank you, thank you." Lou raised his hands and bowed at the people who occupied the bar. There were plenty of spectators who enjoyed a good show from his father, and plenty of people to embarrass himself in front of. "So, what's new at the camps?"

It amazed him how the people in the city just went about their day without any worries. Without any fear of being invaded by the enemies. Everyone did what they wanted, when they wanted. There were no strict schedules, no training, and no traces of blood anywhere.

He envied their lives. Especially since he had to fight for his every day.

"There have been more attacks around the country than usual. I was assigned to as many missions as possible." Cole leaned back in his seat, stretching his very sore muscles.

It turns out, the Army couldn't go on without their demolition man—even if there were more in his department. And the second he had finished recovering, Cole was sent on a tour to fight battles for the Army. Truth be told, he was tired.

Lou sat down beside him, grabbing his left arm and massaging the tension away. He always loved that his father took care of him in a way his mother did; making him meals, fixing his appearance when Cole failed to notice, and even wiping the sweat that leaked on the side of his head. After she passed, he had to play the role of both mother and father and Cole was well aware he was trying his best.

He let himself relax under his father's touch, the soreness of his muscles slowly fading away. Now this is a vacation. He thought with much contempt.

"How's that girl you've been dating?" He blurted out, catching Cole by surprise. "Seliel, was it?"

He gulped, he may have forgotten to tell his father the news. However, the mention of the girl was enough to get his muscles all tense once more. "We...went our separate ways." In all honesty, it was his decision to end the relationship.