15 | The Power of Words

It was a windy day in the desert, faces getting hit by sand grains as they were carried by the breeze. More soldiers had managed to recover from the weeks' fight, while some mourned for the ones they lost. It was common for people at the camps to bury their own friends, it was morbid, but it wasn't like they had a choice.

The whole camp had gone quiet for a few days, a way to respect those who had sacrificed their lives for Ninjago in the never ending war. There was no celebration for even in victory, they had lost.

After everything that had happened—a week of chaos in the infirmary and more days of fighting the war—it didn't take long for things to go back to normal at the camps. Perhaps that was how things were around the place. Things happen and one way or another, they move on.

Training had resumed the following week despite their instructor's injuries. However, the third week at the camps were rumored to be a test of will and strength, filled with harder tasks than anyone wanted to endure. It also meant that the ranks were to be announced during Monday's morning assembly.

"Hurry up! I wanna see the ranks." The trainee's ushered their friends toward the hologram on the floor, displaying the familiar 100 numbers they had seen during their first time at the camps. There were now names on the red and green lines.

Behind the hologram stood their instructors, hands behind their backs and a steady look on their faces as they watched the initiates crowd in front of the screen to try and find their names. And within that crowd, was a familiar batch of five girls who were playing rock, paper, clamp, to see who would look for their names.

"This is ridiculous! Why can't we all go and check at the same time?"

"Because you could either be on the green or red!"

"It's terrifying!"

"There are only two options, and it's just the first of many. If you fall into the red then you still have time to improve."

"Move! I'll do it."

Princess Harumi walked forward, pushing past the crowd of sweaty teenagers to make her way to the front. Her hair was tied up in two buns on either side of her head today, she had Vania make them before they walked out of the tent.

Of course, it was just an excuse to talk to the girl.

"Did you find anything last night?" She whispered, acting as natural as possible.

"No. There was so much work to do, I couldn't find the time to sneak in."

Harumi didn't believe it.

"You were hanging out with Cole, weren't you?"

Her best friend had gone quiet, her hands coming to a stop in Harumi's hair for a split second. "Who's Cole?" She asked, clearing her throat and resuming her work.

Harumi had a gift of knowing when to take matters into her own hands. This was one of those times. After Vania had told her about her new friend, she made it easy enough to see through her, the Princess had a crush. Once she made it to the front of the hologram, the sight caught her by surprise.

79. Jade

"Are you kidding me?!" She blurted, catching the attention of everyone in the field.

Only one person answered. "Just 21 away from the bottom, Princess." She knew exactly who that annoying voice belonged to. "But I don't think it's something to be proud of."

Kai had walked from his spot behind the hologram to a few feet away from her, his lips forming a proud smirk—perhaps suggesting that he had been up to this, Harumi was quick to think so.