Chapter 2: Selfish

You spend weeks working relentlessly on Doctor Octavius' device, and it was all worth it. In fact the hard and demanding project was practically done, the structure almost completed.
A sigh of relief leaves your lips with a satisfied smile as you look at the imposing metal machine. You turn and go to the now so familiar desk where Octavius is reviewing some documents. Hearing your footsteps the man looks up and welcomes you with a warm smile, extending his hand to receive the papers you are bringing him.

"Thank you very much, dear. Always very helpful."

He replies, always with that kind voice of his as he gently takes the papers you were holding, looking carefully at them.

"Just doing my humble job, Doctor Octavius."

You tell him with a smile while also replacing the cup of coffee on his desk and taking away the now empty one. You'll never get used to his infinite sweetness or... at least how warm and appreciated he made you feel.

"Ah, thank you. You didn't have to Y/n... And I alredy told you it's Otto for you, darling."

He looks at you smiling with a raised eyebrow and finger as if to scold you for having called him by his last name. With all the time spent working together every single day, from morning to late evening, you could now afford to call him by name as per his request. It was not your habit to take these confidences with a superior, but Otto now thought it was appropriate and you, of course, greatly appreciated his permission.

"Yes, sorry Doc- er Otto."

You squeeze your hands, lightly biting your tongue for still being almost wrong again. Otto smiles, giggling slightly with a hum at your cute reaction that he was now used to but never got tired of.

"Oh, if you have time Y/n, could you please bring me the sample number 3-8 on the table 4? I want to give it a look again."

He asks observing the pages you just brought him, leafing through them and frowning a little.

"Right away."

You turn and walk to the lab tables. You carefully observe the test tubes divided into 5 rows of 10 and passing your hand through them you find the sample that the Doctor requested. You take it gently, shaking it carefully and observing it against the light. You confirm that it is the right one, but before you can bring it to Octavius you hear the door of the laboratory opening.

"Doctor, Mr. Osborn is here."

Two boys walk down the stairs and you immediately recognize their faces: one of them is of course, as announced, Harry Osborn, the new owner of the OSCORP corporation for which Octavius ​​works as well as the financier of the project, and the other boy is Peter Parker, another brilliant student from Professor Connor's class.
Both of them are currently your classmates but you've never talked much to them, except with Peter as you two share the same interest in science. It was the first time you saw them in the lab.

The Doctor diverts his attention away from the microscope and turns towards the two young men.

"Nobel prize Otto! Nobel prize... We're going to be rich!"

Harry says with almost a presumptuous confidence, taking off his sunglasses and walking down the stairs as he goes towards Otto with Peter following him. Octavius ​​approaches the two boys and reaches out to Harry's hand.

"It's not about the prizes Harry."

He answers modestly with a cordial tone while shaking hands with Harry who smiles wryly and immediately responds to the Doctor without many problems.

"But you need money. You need OSCORP."

Hearing this, you stiffen for a moment at the nonchalance with which Harry brags about his position and wealthyness. Despite being the owner of the industry, you didn't think your classmate was so conceited, but apparently he allowed himself to be like that with the Doctor.