Chapter 5: Surprises

The next day you go back to school, anxious about the rumors that may have spread about you after what happened yesterday. Keeping your head down in guilt and trying to avoid other people's stares, you make your way to your locker at the end of the hall. When you arrive, you open it slowly and grab the books for this morning's lesson: physics, Professor Connor's class. At leat a good thing, you were looking forward to taking his lesson.  Before closing the locker, you casually hear some familiar voices and when you turn around, looking in their direction, you recognize the three girls from yesterday. The one you hit had a pack of plasters on her right cheek. You throw your face back into the locker when you see them heading towards you, sweating slightly as you think about how to approach them. How shameful... Shame on your unripe behavior. If you had restrained yourself or rather, behaved like an adult, you could have avoided all this. But you were wrong... Violence was never the answer. You certainly didn't prove that you were better than them.
After a long sigh, you close the locker and when you hear that their footsteps are behind, you turn around making your presence noticed. The girls, recognizing you, take a few steps back in unison with angry looks mixed with concern.  Seeing their reaction, you bring your hands to your chest, lowering your gaze and shrugging, trying to curl up so that you didn't look like a threat.

"I'm... I am really sorry for what happened yesterday..."

You say in a low, submissive voice but loud enough for them to hear you, squeezing your fingers in agitation, trying to look at them in the eyes but failing to keep the eye contact. It sure wasn't the first time you apologized to someone, but doing it so publicly... That made you anxious and uneasy, but it sure made the person on the other side feel better or safe, and that's what you wanted them to feel right now.

"I acted really immature and harshly... I was totally unjustified... I hope you can forgive me"

The girls look at each other with incredulous eyes. As you look down you notice that some people have begun to surround you and your face flushes with embarrassment. Why were the others standing here and watching... Didn't they have anything else to do? You clench your fists. At that moment you just wanted to disappear.

"I... I forgive you Y/n"

The girl answers with great amazement from the audience and certainly yours. Your eyes widen and you lift your face to meet her gaze.  The girl was holding her hand out to you as a sign of peace. A sense of relief envelops you and a slight smile appears on your face, almost completely removing the anxiety from before.

"Really...?"

"Yes, really. It wasn't really nice what I said... So I also apologize for my bad mouth"

The girl slightly smiles at you, also apologizing for her behavior with some shame in her eyes.  Definitely a pleasant surprise, you certainly never expected that this would be solved so easily and peacefully. You slowly straighten your back, now revealing your cheeks still red from the embarrassment of before, with a smile that was increasing on your face. You accept the girl's hand, shaking it as a sign of peace. The girl nods

"Well, now that everything is settled... See you in class"

The girl leaves, waving kindly as you watch her go, happy with the outcome. You take a few peeks around and see that some students keep glaring at you or start whispering something, not leaving even if the matter was over.  Suddently a hand rests on your shoulder making you stiffen.

"What do you have to look? The show is over. Circulate!"

A noise of disappointment leaves some students who start scattering around the corridor after hearing the command. When you look behind you, you find out that it's Harry Osborn, and immediately behind him is Peter. Your eyes widen at the sight. You did not expect that your classmate, who seemed to be thinking only of himself and with whom you had never talked except thanks to Peter or for that occasion in the laboratory, would have come in your rescue