Chapter 21: Time to cure some ass

'This is it.'

You think to yourself as you watch Peter finishing his live speech on the phone with all the NY people watching The Daily Bugle, while the other two heroes are securing all the cures, attaching them on different parts of the Statue of Liberty. A symbolic place indeed, worthy of the perilous task that awaited the three of them.
You stayed in the rear of the action area, near the portal that Ned created between the rendevouz point and the school lab you were just in. You thought you would never see something unexplainable like this: a portal between two totally different locations opened by some random hand gestures... A thing that could only happen in sci-fi or, better yet, fantasy books. But the fact that you were in a completely different universe with people from also other universes... Was alredy a surreal situation. So you just shut that thought off your mind.
You lean against the railing of the metal structure that surrounded completely the statue, looking around and taking in the amazing scenery of the city at night. When would such an opportunity ever happen again?Looking down, you watch as the three Peter casually chat with each other, smiling and probably giving some advices or encouraging words between themselves. It was a wholesome view seeing them get along so well. As if sensing someone watching him, your Peter turns to look in your direction, catching you off guard. Seeing it's you he smiles, giving you a thumbs up as to assure that everything will be okay. The other two, seeing him looking up and also noticing you watching them, decide to do the same as one gives another thumbs up while the other waves his hand at you. That surprises you and cracks a smile on your face that brightens you up.
But the happy moment is short-lived as a rumble of a thunder gets the full attention of the group. The older Peter looks up at you again and, catching your gaze, he nods, signaling you that they were finally coming. You nod back at him and go to MJ and Ned that were staying on the other side of the portal, into the lab. The plan was to keep the portal open till Peter gave you the magic box since, if someone destroyed it, you could never go back home. A tragic outcome for sure, and indeed it was better not to mess up. So you patiently wait with anticipation for the villains to catch the bait the younger Peter prepared.
You hear another thunder, much more closer and immediately one of the villains, Max, makes his appeareance infront of the heroes. It was time. All of three Spider Men start to swing around the statue, confusing the enemy but also you, and not long after one of them throws the magic box at the group of you. Fortunately MJ promptly catches it.

"Got it! Close it."

She instantly tells Ned and, without delay, he starts making some round gestures with his left arm as he did before to open the portal. But this time it didn't close. You and MJ look at him confused and in a hurry.

"Ned, it's not closing."

"Yeah I know."

He answers nervously as he tryes again to close the magic opening with another gesture of his but with no avail as he grunts with distress.

"Why isn't it closing?"

"I don't know I-"

"Did you close it before? Did you...?"

They begin to argue with each other as to why the portal wasn't closing and a bad feeling pervades your body, making your pressure raise up, giving you chills. You look out of the portal and see some sand raising up all around the statue and a lot of lightning strikes. It wasn't getting good. Not at all. He had to close that thing. Now. You turn towards Ned and lay a hand on his shoulder.

"Ned, look. Just... slowly breath in... And out. Concentrate."

You sign him with your hands, closing your eyes and breath with him, knowing that shaking him wouldn't help. He follows your lead as MJ also does to help him. When everybody is focused and more calm you look at the portal with them.