CHAPTER EIGHT - ATLANTA TO SEATTLE

The taxi's horn blares at me as I hurry across the crosswalk on 2nd Avenue.

"Okay, okay!" I holler at the driver as I skipped up onto the curb and out of his way.

"Everything all right?" My associate asks as I put the phone back up to my ear.

"Yes. Sorry. Let's talk later, I'll send you the contract for review."

"Sounds good. Congrats again on closing the new client!" she replies.

"Thanks," I say with a smile and then hang up.

"Yay!" I cheer as I saunter into my office on 2nd Avenue in Seattle. Birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and I just landed a huge contract. With this new client my company's revenue will grow larger than I ever imagined it could. The success is exhilarating, and there's one person that I can't wait to tell. Chris will be so proud of me.

I'm happy when I reach my desk, kick off my heels, and sit down after being out all day. I slip my laptop onto my desk and sort through my inbox. After a few minutes of catching up, I open Facebook.

As the first article flashes by I do a double take. My stomach drops as another picture flashes by. My heart beats so fast it feels like it's skipping, and I feel like I'm going to throw up.

I drop my forehead to my hand, emotions overwhelming me as anxiety churns in my stomach. It's a ball of poison that leads me to hyperventilate. Across social media are posts asking, Is Captain America Dating Again? as paparazzi pictures of my Chris Evans with his ex girlfriend stream across my screen.

Why the hell is he with her?

The rational part of my brain says it's worth giving him a chance to explain. But I'm already apprehensive after the last few weeks. I haven't seen Chris since Hotlanta eight weeks ago. We had two trips planned but both times he's rescheduled. He's been apologetic and we still talk everyday. And in the last year, there have been many times we've changed plans.

But these pictures of him with her sickens me. Is he involved with her again? Did I get played all along? I find the strength to close my laptop and put it out of reach.

Maybe I've been naive. Maybe I thought we had something more and he didn't.

"That can't be true." I moan, resting my head on my folded arms.

I knew that from the beginning this was supposed to be just bicoastal friends with benefits. We are both traveling regularly, our careers taking us around the world. If we are in the same city and the timing worked out, we'd meet up and spend time together. It is great sex with a really great partner.

But I didn't plan on falling in love with him.

I take a deep breath and attempt to stay calm. There has to be an explanation.

But just the fact that it was her, his actress ex girlfriend who'd never let him go. The girl who'd call the paparazzi when they were leaving restaurants, the one who had caused so much drama with his family, and so much pain the many times they broke up. He said he'd never be more than friends with her again.

And I know Chris isn't a liar. Or at least I thought I did.

Before my paranoia and worry cycle any further out of control I decide the best option is to call him. Give him a chance to explain. Resolve my sudden insecurities and go back to work.

"Hi." My hands are shaking from anxiety, adrenaline, and fear.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Fine. How's it going with you?" I don't know how to start this conversation.