Part 79

Kayla's POV

I arrived at the place Jarvis and I agreed to meet at. It was a membership lounge area in the highest floor of a hotel in Makati. Barely no one was inside except for a utility personnel who was cleaning the bar counter earlier. Pero maging ito ay umalis din.

Umupo ako sa booth malapit sa glass wall overlooking the clear afternoon Makati skyline. It was a perfect, peaceful place I didn't know existed close to my condo. I could almost see my building behind several towering skyscrapers.

I made myself comfortable on the firm seat and roamed my eyes around the place to get my mind off things. Nabanggit ni Jarvis na kilala niya ang nagm-manage ng hotel because they used to play here when the band's career was just starting. The small stage at the far side of the room must be where they had their performances. Saint Claire had really come so far... from small venues like this to concert arenas.

I stared at the screen of my phone while waiting. Jarvis must be having a hard time getting out of the building where the band's condo unit was located. I heard from Eula that there were medias dying to have an exclusive interview from Jarvis and some wild fans were seen around their building.

Gagong Jarvis.

I smiled at the name. I didn't bother changing it despite being officially in a relationship with him. I like the name... it was so him... silly, unpredictable, pleasant. It was the first thing that caught my attention the day his name popped up in my notification.

I probably won't forget about it... his first chat where he had to apologize for the tweet he posted and the book he brought on a trip. Ironic how I used to be genuinely annoyed by his presence... the drunk chatting, the obvious flirting. I've never met someone who was so outspoken and persistent as him. It was like the moment when he fell down the stairs. The more I pushed him away, the more he came tumbling towards me.

Who would have imagined, that someone like me would fall for the bright, silly presence of a drummer from a famous band? But I know why. With thousands of people who look up to him, he chose me during the times when I couldn't even look at my reflection in the mirror and choose myself.

Sumulyap akong muli sa labas, habang tumatagal, unti-unti kong nararamdaman ang panginginig ng mga palad ko. In the last few weeks I barely had proper sleep. I was taking doubled of my prescribed medications because I was feeling too much, too rapidly. I was in an ocean with the current pulling me below and the contentious waves crashing against me.

The backlash against Jarvis and Saint Claire hadn't fade. Lalo lang itong tumitindi dahil sa papalapit na concert. People had different opinions about the issue, with different faces hiding behind screens, but same painful words.

The internet is indeed a scary place to be in and to rely on. A single wrong could erase every right... and right is questioned to be wrong. It widens people's perspective of the world but it closed their mind and removed their compassion.

My phone on the table lit up and showed an image of Jarvis' silly face giving me a kiss. It was a photo he took the last time we were together. Every time I see it, I couldn't help but smile... but after today, I don't know if I could still keep it.

Jarvis' message told me he's already on the ground floor. Umayos ako ng upo. Muling bumalot sa'kin ang kaba, ang pagdadalawang isip, ang hindi maipaliwanag na sakit sa aking dibdib. I gripped the fabric on my lap with my sweaty palms.

It's gonna be okay.

After a minute, the elevator on the far corner dings. The door slowly opened to reveal his face, worried, anxious, but once he saw me standing, waiting for him, nagliwanag ang mukha niya, umaliwalas at ngumiti.