Part 80

Kayla's POV

I sat at a corner of a coffee shop, near the glass window where I could watch the people hanging in the nearby park, strolling and biking on a sunny day.

I touched the moisture covered glass of my drink, the ice had already dissolved with the coffee. Fidgeting with the straw, I glanced at the date on my phone screen.

It's today.

A moment later, Eula came barging inside the coffee shop. She roamed her eyes around and immediately waved her hand the moment she saw me. "Kayla!"

She approached me, donning a vintage band shirt, bell button jeans and hot pink leather jacket, accompanied with large platform sandals. She's always been the type of person who's not afraid to express her taste in fashion since college days.

Eula placed her very tiny pink bag on the table and sat before me. "So how are you feeling?" she inquired, watching me closely with her glittery eyes and winged eyeliner.

"I'm okay..."

I took a sip of my watered down coffee and avoided her gaze. But Eula knew me enough that my answer was nothing but a blatant lie to her.

"I heard you took the slot for the series of conference in Cebu," she commented, this time in a more serious manner. "It's a month-long activity, Kayla."

"I know..." I mumbled.

"Kayla naman." She folded her arms over her chest. She's always been a big sister to me or likely a Mom. "It's nearly Christmas, can't you just stay here?"

Pinagmasdan ko ang inumin sa harapan ko, mindlessly stirring at the straw.

"I didn't expect it would be this hard," I mumbled. "It's only been a week but I always see his face around... hear his voice often... on TV, radios, his name on social media. At least at the conference, I could focus on writing."

"Kayla..." Eula offered. "You two could still fix things up."

I shook my head with a halfhearted smile. "Things are slowly getting back to normal for him and for the band," I mumbled. "I don't want to ruin it."

Eula sighed. "I guess you've read the statement Jarvis had released..."

I nodded. "'Yon ang napagkasunduan namin."

"For him to deny his relationship with you?" Eula inquired, her face wary.

I dropped my gaze to my drink. "It's the truth. He no longer have a girlfriend."

"And it's shattering you," Eula, who was never a fan of sugar coating, pointed out. "No matter how often you say you're okay with it, it's shattering you."

Tuluyan akong hindi nakasagot. Eula leaned against the cushion of the velvety coach, like a manager deducing the situation. "I didn't think Jarvis was completely involved with the statement. Some parts yes, but not all."

She tapped her fingers against her arm. "It's the standard procedure when an artist is embroiled in a backlash. The management would limit their access to fans, specially through social media where they could easily post or say something irrevocable."

"As long as the band is in better position... I'm okay with it," I told Eula.

Since the release of the official statement a week ago, the backlash gradually steamed down and their upcoming concert remained sold out and in full swing.

The statement didn't completely satisfied everyone, but at least they became less aggressive with the shipping since the statement also denied Jarvis' involvement with any artist, and that heavily implicated Ashley.