Epilogue

Kayla's POV

I scanned the menu while waiting for Eula in a corner table inside a Japanese restaurant. While choosing what type of ramen to order, a familiar song on the background caught my attention. It was a Saint Claire song... his song.

Mukhang hindi lang ako ang nakapansin nito. From a table a few feet from me, two ladies started talking about the song in cheery, giddy voices.

"Isn't that the song Jarvis Riley dedicated to his girlfriend?" one of them commented. "I heard they broke up and he sang that song during last year's concert in hopes of winning her back."

"That's so romantic! Did they get back together?"

"No one knows. Such lucky girl to have someone like Jarvis waiting for her."

"I really wish we could attend the concert tonight to hear their songs live."

"Girl kahit gustuhin natin, tickets were sold out on the first day."

Napangiti ako sa kanilang usapan. Indeed, the band's popularity remain unmatched in the past year. Since their anniversary concert, the band had achieved exemplary awards for their songs. They've attended awards and invited to perform outside the country. Their songs were constant request on TV shows and radios and they've garnered a lot of new listeners as well.

I couldn't be more proud.

But the transition wasn't a smooth ride for the band, specially for Jarvis. After last year's concert, videos circulated on the internet and had gone viral. Some people said what Jarvis had done was an irresponsible move, specially after his management released an official statement under his name just days before the concert. Others found the act romantic and truthful and came rallying behind him and supported his side of the story.

It became so talked about that it opened a long avoided discussion of toxicity and authenticity in the showbiz industry, specially when it comes to the lives and romantic relationships of the artists in front and behind camera.

It took months before the topic came into a resolution and the song became a relatable hit for every ages, specially those who experienced the kind of love depicted in the song. A love that saves, sacrifices... a love that waits.

"Kayla!"

Eula rushed over me once she arrived at the restaurant. She was wearing her usual eccentric outfit of large corduroy jacket, black printed T-shirt tucked inside a flowy white skirt and black zip-up boots. The two ladies earlier couldn't help but admire her outfit on their way out of the restaurant.

"Got stuck with the bosses," paliwanag niya bago umupo sa settee sa tapat ko.

I rolled my eyes, smiling at her remark. "You're one of the bosses," I pointed out.

Her plum tinted lips gave me a grin. Eula just got promoted six months ago to Development Associate. She's literally one of my bosses, kaya madalas ko siyang tuksuhin tungkol dito.

"So how's my writer doing?"

Ngumiti ako, a wide genuine smile. "I'm okay."

For the longest time, I couldn't speak those words, or tell them to myself. Most of the time, I would be just lying. But I now I could honestly say... I'm okay.

"So how's Japan?" she asked, eyes bright and curious. "I can't believe you were out travelling, attending writer's conventions one after another."

I swayed on my seat out of giddiness. "I just find travelling addictive, specially when I no longer have to worry and be anxious about the smallest things."