14

Evelyn

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing happened in the last days and it was driving me crazy.

After it became clear to us what Howard was doing to Collin, it is like any clue they might have left behind completely vanished from the surface. No matter how hard we tried, no matter how many people we questioned, they were simply gone. No one had a clue where they were going now or where they were hiding.

We were not doing anything here in Detroit but we also didn't have anywhere else to look. The options were endless. Harry doesn't think they are still here, his guess is they left right after the last lost fight and headed somewhere new. 

But where? Could they have gone to one of the closest biggest cities? Maybe Pittsburg or even Cleveland? Could they have driven away for days and gotten to Kansas or Denver?

How were we going to know when they simply vanished?

This was the question driving Harry crazy. Knowing we were not doing anything here, but not knowing which direction to choose to look for him. What if we decide to go south and they have gone west? It is impossible to get out of this endless cycle of doubts.

So now, we were five days into our stay in Detroit, banging our heads against the walls, hoping for some sign that might indicate where we are going. Thankfully, we had upgraded from that disgusting motel room to something a little more... clean. It was a complex of apartments and the rent was cheap, which was all we needed. Money was taking a while to come from the UK so we had to be smart managing what we had.

"Maybe they went to a small city." Harry says, laying down on the bed, throwing a random object he found on the bedside table, my raspberry chapstick. He throws it upwards, catching it when gravity makes it go down again. He has been doing this for the past hour and I am lying if I say it is not slowly driving me crazy.

"Maybe." I reply. 

He keeps saying his guesses but at this point, he named every single city in this damn country and we still haven't left these four walls behind. "What are you making for dinner?" I ask when my stomach growls changing the topic. This naming of cities is driving me insane, it is everything he has been saying in the last days. A little change in the conversation would be welcomed.

"I'm not hungry." His reply is familiar, he always says the same thing every time I bring up the topic of food.

"Do I need to remind you that you have lost a lot of weight just in the last month? It's not healthy." If before Harry would eat a lot to compensate for the physical effort he put his body through almost daily, right now I don't even think he eats the recommended daily calories. It's normal he doesn't need to eat as much as he did before, but he is also losing a lot of weight, mostly his muscles are becoming less defined because he hasn't been working out at all.

He needed to rest, his body was getting close to the breaking point, especially after the beating he took right before everything happened. But now he was healing well, not one hundred percent well, but he was getting there. He just needs to eat to get there. Nutritiously balanced meals aren't exactly what we have been consuming.

"I don't feel like eating." He says trying to negotiate with me.

"Well, I am. And I've been preparing the food over the last days, I would appreciate it if you took over tonight." I say, not wanting to cause an argument but he can't expect me to do everything. I have felt like a 50's wife lately and I have hated the feeling.