Chapter 1 - Andor

A dark cyclone made of countless abandoned souls swirled above Castle Teufelwald, each one prepared for battle. For a thousand years the fortress stood as a symbol of draconic power. Made of obsidian stone, its mighty spires reached to the heavens like the spindly fingers of an evil hand. Although the war against the Light had lasted for over eighty years, no army could breach its walls or the moat of liquid lava surrounding it.

Deep within its bowels came a bone-chilling screech, the call of the Shadow Queen. Their leader. Her cry summoned Shadows at will and could not be ignored.

Mount Balaam belched endless streams of lava and poisonous gas. But even the giant volcano could not drown out her call.

Come to me, Andor. Another piercing shriek echoed across the desolate basalt landscape. Prove your loyalty.

The Shadow wraith hummed in reply, a deep bass seismic wave that shook the caldera. A single entity broke free from the collective that hovered above the castle like shadowy mist. Andor descended through the stone walls of the castle until he reached the obsidian Throne Room, where the Queen ruled alone over the Shadowfolk.

When she beckoned to him with a welcoming thrum, Andor floated toward her throne. His ribbons of dark ether intertwined like the spidery veins of black ivy, tightly coiling until they formed the semblance of a man.

Though Andor had no eyes, he could sense her draconic magnetism vibrating in his dark soul like music. It resonated through every strand, playing him like a mournful violin. He needed her. The Queen filled a void inside him deeper than any mortal could ever fix.

He would do anything to repay her.

Tall and willowy, Andor bent the knee and saluted his Queen, placing his right fist over where his heart would have thudded. "Your will is my command, Your Highness."

The Shadow Queen spoke in a firm voice dripping with the sweetest honey. "Find Magnus."

Despite his blindness the wraith cast his gaze aside, her command piercing him like a lance. Even now, six years after the Great Split, some physical habits he could not break.

My twin brother? After all this time?

"I beg you, Your Highness. Please do not mention that traitor's name."

The Queen approached Andor with gentle footfalls before lifting his chin with a single finger. He could resist much, but never her human touch. When the fearsome dragon morphed into a goddess with skin of polished bronze, hair as dazzling as gold, and curves as gentle as the twin moons, he couldn't contain his desire to fulfill her every wish.

Though Andor couldn't see her now, he'd glimpsed her many times before.

He would move mountains for her. Massacre entire armies. Wreak havoc and pain on innocents. Whatever she desired, he would do, for she was his greatest weakness.

"Find him..." Her firm command brought his resolve to its knees. "And lead him back to the Shadow."

A heavy silence fell between them.

When she caressed his cheek with her cool hand, Andor leaned into her touch. Only she could understand him. Only she loved him after the collective had shut him out because of his twin's treachery.

Magnus had broken the sacred bonds of family and betrayed his oath to serve the Queen until death. For that, Andor would never forgive him.

But could he deceive Magnus so cruelly in return?

"Never have I questioned your commands," he said in a bass rumble, each syllable even and calculated, "but this I cannot do."

"You will for your Queen."