Chapter 14 - Kara

Isolated in the Shadows, Harald leaned against the wall of the secret antechamber. Head back. Lips parted. Eyes squeezed shut as though he was in pain.

Grasping him by the shirtsleeve, Kara drew his attention. "What in the Shadow was that? You don't leave a lady in the middle of a cursed dance! It's rude and impertinent."

"Oh, really?" Harald yanked his arm away. "And what's this? Polite ladylike behavior?" He pushed the linen shirt unceremoniously up his arm, revealing his toned forearms. "You almost tore the fabric!"

"And what of it?"

"It's a...very good shirt." He jutted his chin and brushed past her. "As it so happens, one of the few acceptable ones I own that actually covers my flesh."

"I'll admit it." Kara held her head high. "It looks good on you. Better than the others."

Harald turned to face her. "Did you just give me a compliment?"

"Never."

"Ha!"

"You should stay sober more often," teased Kara. "It improves your speech."

The ale had given her a strange confidence as she sauntered toward him. After she'd given him a playful push, Harald stumbled backward. Not from the force. The wizard had touched him much too gently for that to happen. 

Surprise, maybe?

Kara drew calculated steps nearer to him until his back ended up against the wall. Until the Shadow concealed them both.

"Tonight is the last carefree night I have." 

She took his hand and pressed it against her cheek. Harald caressed it without a word.

"Tomorrow I have the weight of the adult world on me," said Kara. "Light knows what they'll ask of me in the Guild. Let me enjoy it."

Harald traced her cheek with a feather-light touch. "What...do you wish of me?"

"Perhaps..."

Her voice trailed off.

"Tell me, little sparrow."

"Perhaps..." She gazed into his eyes. "Perhaps I want to tear some fabric."

He lowered his hand. "You're drunk."

She marched two fingers along his muscular chest over the white linen shirt. "No, I've had only four tankards of ale."

"It's your first time." Harald shook his head curtly. "The ale hit your head too fast."

"I'm warm, but I know what I'm doing."

He snatched her fingers gently with his own. "I don't play games, Katharina. I know what you think of me, but I'm not that man. And you're not that woman. You told me yourself."

"I told you I want to connect before I touch." She clasped his hand against her heart and a thrum vibrated between them with waves of pulsating moonlight. "Don't you feel it?"

"I—I feel it." The notch bobbed in his throat. "It's strong, but I want more. More than you want from me."

"What do you mean?"

"It's too soon...I can't say. You'll get scared, and—"

"What do you want?" She turned his face until his intense gaze met hers. "Is it so terrible?"

"Don't make me say it."

"Tell me." After Kara had spoken the words, her lips brushed along his chest where the lacing had loosened. "Please?"