Chapter 16 - Magnus

Magnus kept his head bowed in respect, his masked face obscured by the oversized hood made of basketweave wool. Kara walked toward him with slow, deliberate steps. He could see only her black leather ankle boots and the hem of her dress wizard robes with the golden runes along the hem.

Beside her walked Lord Staufen in his formal purple robes, here to witness the demise of his protege. Minningen law dictated that a blood feud required a witness for the Crown, but only rarely did a lord carry out this sacred duty.

No, this is personal.

Lord Staufen wanted to witness it with his own two eyes. Or rather, the Queen of Teufelwald wished for it. Her recollection of this day would give her pleasure for weeks to come. 

The dragon knew her wicked heart all too well.

When Kara stopped a cubit before him, Magnus kept his silence.

"Look at me," Kara demanded in a calm voice. When he refused to follow her command, she shouted, "Look at me!"

Magnus raised his head and stared straight ahead, avoiding his beloved Kara's hateful gaze. In that moment she had stabbed him worse than in any nightmarish dreamscape.

"Take off your hood," she said.

He did as she commanded, his shoulder-length raven waves crackling with tiny sparks. Even from this distance, Magnus grimaced as Kara's latent draconic soul broiled with anger so fierce, it burned his heart. He drew deep, even breaths to keep calm.

"Remove your mask."

Silence.

"I told you to remove your mask," demanded Kara in a deathly calm tone that made his heart shrivel.

With a deadly schlink, a sword came into view. One whose flames danced along the surface with searing heat. Kara raised the flaming sword near his throat.

"Remove it!"

"Only two people can remove my mask in public," he said in an even tone. "My Lord and my bond."

"Your bond?" Kara sneered, lowering the blade to her side. "Who is she?"

Silence.

"Do you even have a bond?" she asked.

Silence.

"Oh, he has one," replied Lord Staufen with a wry chuckle. "The dragon simply doesn't want to admit it because it would give you too much leverage over him."

My dear Queen, you reveal yourself more and more all the time.

I only hope Kara can see the truth.

"Lord Staufen...would you remove his mask, please?" asked Kara in an icy tone that almost refroze Magnus' heart. "I want to gaze upon the man I'm going to strike down."

"It would be my honor, ma'am."

The royal walked slowly toward Magnus, gazing at him through long eyelashes, just as his Queen had done many years ago. The evil woman was not even trying to hide it now.

As Lord Staufen—his Queen—reached forward to remove the mask, Magnus gazed upon Kara one last time. She drew rapid breaths. Preparing herself to strike. She held herself so tense that her body trembled...like his body had done as he had watched his family die all those years ago.

If only I had known...

If only we had more time...

Kara spoke through gritted teeth. "Forgive me, Sir. Despite the law...despite my morals...despite everything you've taught me, I cannot let this evil stand."