Chapter 6 - Magnus

Once again Magnus did not escape peacefully into his draconic meditation. How could he? The next morning he would begin training Katharina for the Adventurer's Guild, part of the elite team in Lord Staufen's new spy ring. And the training needed to be cruel. 

Right from the start.

By the end Katharina would hate him. But Magnus would have done his job and produced a loyal wizard worthy of the title 'Master'.

For hours Katharina would work in the drawing room adjacent to his study. Somehow Magnus would have to remain objective. He would put her under great stress. He would give her orders that fostered the security of Minningen even if that meant putting her welfare second. 

Not to mention his. Magnus would have to feel nothing. He could treat her no differently than any other candidate he had trained. 

Impossible! That woman has haunted my Dreamscape for six years.

In that ethereal realm—which humans could hardly remember and dragons experienced as clear as the physical realm with all six of their senses—Magnus could find no rest. It gave him no reprieve. His tortured mind vacillated between his war guilt and the regret of unfulfilled dreams.

Magnus tossed and turned in the darkness of his chambers. He needed rest. Finally his eyelids fluttered shut. But his relentless Dreamscape betrayed him, recreating that one pivotal battle with eidetic precision. The one he desperately wanted to forget.

***

The putrid stench of burning hair and flesh choked Magnus.

Clouds of green poison billowed like smoke while fire dragons burned warriors alive with flames of death. Shadow dragons spewed pools of caustic acid onto their enemies, who screamed in agony. The congealed mass of yellowish goop melted any flesh that it touched.

Ice spikes fell from the sky, spearing elves and dwarves alike. But even Magnus' fearsome kin could not turn the tide of the battle.

His fellow dragon comrades screeched in pain. Warriors of the Light bellowed orders to each other, using ropes and metal chains to imprison their war captives. Magnus wanted to help. But the Queen had given him strict orders to hunt down the mole who had betrayed them.

It was Erik, his beloved mentor.

Now he must die.

With eyes as dark as the Teufelwalder forest, Erik observed his former student as he entered the secluded cave. "Come with me, Magnus. You have always questioned the way of the Shadow. It's time to follow the Light."

"That was before I realized the Light killed innocent children." Magnus brandished his sword and switched from Common to Shadowspeak. "You have brought nothing but ruin!"

"We accept all who turn to the Light."

"Your people force us to choose betrayal or death."

The two foes circled one another like lynxes ready to pounce. Erik's scales glowed bright red in the Teufelwalder sunset even though they were as gray as storm clouds.

"I'm surprised you didn't shift," said Erik. "Your ice breath could defeat me easily."

"Unlike the Light, we do not prey on the helpless," sneered Magnus. "We will fight fairly. As equals. And you will still lose."

"So certain?"

Magnus bared his fangs. "You taught me well."

The young dragon raced toward his enemy and attacked. His mentor parried the half-hearted blows easily before they began to circle once more.