38 - 𝙱𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚝 𝙱𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚐𝚎𝚜

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"If we could only hear thoughts."

└─────────❍─────────┘

"This is the last mission for your observation

"This is the last mission for your observation."

I nodded to no-one in particular. Screens separated me from the higher-ups who, for some reason I couldn't fathom, called me direct into the headquarters. Was a promotion this serious they couldn't pass the message through Yaga sensei instead?

"You have already proven yourself worthy for grade 1 as an individual," chuckled one with a tone cheery and full of pride. He sounded like how our clan head would talk about Toshiro. "This time we'll test how you'd do with another sorcerer."

Replying with a firm nod, my grip on my skirt tightened. My skills were regarded highly, they made that obvious enough as soon as I came in. But a nagging feeling wouldn't leave my stomach.

Miura told me his grade 1 assessment was bloody. There was no way they would be lenient on me.

In the jujutsu world, I was known for three things. First, for being the only user of modified cursed speech. Second, for being Inumaki clan's outcast. Third, as Gojo Satoru's fiancée. None of those reasons could explain why they were giving me this sort-of special treatment. It was even a surprise they hadn't locked me up somewhere and offed me for being a chaotic anomaly.

"I understand," I replied firmly when the mission's details were explained. Maybe I was overthinking again. The mission seemed normal, logical even. And why would the higher-ups even bother about me?

──❍──

"Down!"

Nanami landed on his knees, dodging the attack that came milliseconds after my command.

By another sorcerer, yes, they meant Nanami. While it made sense to test how good I could protect my junior, did no one tell them how risky this could be? Take this situation as Exhibit A. We were only supposed to exorcise curses, not deal with attacks from curse users. Everything could possibly go wrong!

"Senpai!"

"I'm fine, Nanami-kun," I assured. A small, red slit on my left arm caught my attention. I hissed in annoyance. "It just grazed me."

He quickly stood up and regrouped with me, keeping a keen eye on the surroundings. "I apologize for not being attentive, senpai."

I dismissed his apology and gestured at the group of people in front of us.

Nanami also tensed up, instinctively pushing me to his back. "Are you okay, senpai?"

No, I'm not.