✧☆Birthday☆✧

Summary:
Dream’s still in prison for his birthday, Techno is a good friend

Notes:
This story is about fluff lmfao but I hope your enjoyed :) also dream and techno friendship? Pog! Rivalstwt for the win!

————————————————————————————————————

Work Text:

Dream hugs his knees close to his chest as he tries to sleep. Techno’s cape around his shoulders is nice, he feels less exposed than he would without it. The hybrid had fallen asleep a while ago, but was now awake and moving around. Dream’s unsure of what he’s doing and he honestly doesn’t care at this moment. Dream jolts when a hand touches his shoulder and he looks up. Techno is kneeling a few feet from him and Dream looks back down at the floor. He wasn’t a big fan of eye contact anymore.

“Do you uh, need something?” rasps Dream, his throat still raw from countless hours of daily screaming. Techno sits down more comfortably on the obsidian floor and he holds out a piece of paper. Dream nearly flinches when he reaches towards him, but he manages not to and he takes the folded piece of paper with a shaky hand. All Dream does is stare at it and Techno nods.

“Open it.” Dream swallows thickly and carefully unfolds it, struggling slightly due to his injured hands. Dream unfolds and he just stares at the words. It’s a card and it reads Happy Birthday Dream. Techno rubs the back of his neck.

“I’m not usually one for sentiment, but you’ve been a good friend to me and honestly, based on your last few months… you need it.” Dream’s throat is dry and Techno pulls something out of his pocket.

“And this is my physical gift to you, it was meant to be Tommy’s, but then, he  betrayed me so he never got it.” Techno holds out a small earring, it had a golden chain that hung down connected to a emerald that was shaped into a rhombus. Dream stares at it and Techno chuckles nervously and he goes to speak again until he sees the tears dropping onto the card, small drops landing on the paper. Techno frowns until he sees the smile on Dream’s face.

“T-Thank you,” chokes out Dream and Techno moves over more, pulling Dream into a side hug, the dirty blonde’s smile fading and he lets out an anguished cry before clinging onto Techno.

“Thank you, thank y-you,” continues Dream and Techno nods.

“Don’t mention it roomie.” Dream wipes his eyes with his bandaged arm and he gently takes the pendant earring.

“C-Can you put i-it in?” asks Dream quietly and Techno takes it back from him before pushing the needle part of the earring into Dream’s old earring holes, a tad surprised when it actually goes in after months of not having earrings in them. Dream touches it with his fingers, a quiet giggle escaping his lips.

“It goes well with your eye,” comments Techno and Dream, for what feels like the first time since Techno has been here, smiles at him with a genuine happy smile.

“Y-Yeah, it does,” agrees Dream and Techno smiles at him.

“Thank you Techno, s-seriously, this… I can’t even remember the last time I got a present for my b-birthday.” Techno’s brows furrow.

“Really?” Dream nods.

“No one… no one wants to g-give the villain a gift, hell, no one e-even knows my birthday besides S-Sapnap and George and a few others.” Dream sniffles and wipes his eyes again.

“…Out of curiosity, how old are you?” asks Techno and Dream shrugs.

“I’m 22 I believe.” Techno blinks at him a few times.

“You’re only twenty two and you are trying to run an entire server by yourself?” Dream chuckles.

“Yeah… I’m a bit young for the job, most admins get their first server at 30, like Phil did, but not me,” says Dream with a bitter chuckle.

“An admin’s most precious thing is their server, why do you think I went to such lengths to protect it?” Techno sighs.

“Well, either way it’s pretty damn impressive you’ve kept this world from self destructing due to all the wars and such.” Dream chuckles and gives Techno a smile.

“I suppose it is.” Techno grins.

“Damn right it is.” Dream folds the card back up and he reaches into the chest, sliding it into his diary.

“Oh, by the way my second gift was that,” says Techno pointing to his cape.

“What?”

“Once we get out of here you get to keep it, my treat.” Dream goes to protest, but never gets to because Techno talks first.

“And my final gift is a promise,” Techno reaches down and grabs Dream’s hand, gripping it firmly.

“My final gift is me promising to get you out of here.” Dream looks over at him, meeting his eyes.

“And I can assure you I keep all my promises.” Dream feels himself getting worked up again and he sniffles.

“I’m holding you to t-that, back out and I-I’ll personally f-find a way out of this shithole j-just to kill you.” Techno cackles making Dream laugh and he gives a thumbs up,

“I'll stay true to my word, you don’t need to worry about that.” Techno is surprised when Dream willingly leans over, hitting his side and resting his head on his shoulder. Techno smiles softly before slipping his own arm around him.

“Thank you,” says Dream again and Techno smirks.

“Anything for the clout.”

“Never mind I take back everything I said to you.” Techno laughs loudly at his words.

“No I was joking!” defends Techno.

“You’re an asshole.”

“Takes one to know one.” Dream huffs and crosses his arms.

“Well actually you are a homeless asshole,” adds Techno and Dream hits his arm before the two break out into semi-hostile bickering despite the smiles on both their faces. It’s safe to say despite the situation this is the best birthday Dream’s had in years.

————————————————————————————————————
Credits to the person named @hamham1o1 this is an amazing fluffy yet angsty story and I hoped you enjoyed it like I did!

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/33213529
————————————————————————————————————