Dorm Room Competition Part 2(14)

(Just want to say that this chapter is double the length! Also, don't forget to vote, thx. Enjoy!)

Eventually, the rest of the class arrived on the third floor as Dabi was still lost in thought staring at the floor. He hardly noticed their retreating footsteps until a hand is suddenly placed on his shoulder. His mind draws a complete blank as he shifts to an instinctive response and harshly recoils away from the touch. The redhead confused and a tad bit frightened immediately pulls his hand back, glancing at it for a second before returning it to his side. 

"Oh- hey, sorry man, didn't mean to startle you," he scratches the back of his head, "I just wanted to check if you were all right. We're moving on but it didn't seem like you noticed."

He looks over, seeing the others heading into a room whose nameplate reads 'Kouda.' "I-" His voice catches in his throat for a moment, "I'm fine." He glances back to Kirishima, holding the boy's gaze, and offering a slight nod in hopes that it convinces him of his words. He swallows the absence of saliva in his now dry mouth and tries to keep his breathing steady, slowly inhaling. He clamps down on his tongue to keep his emotions in check and heads on over the group, brushing past his slightly concerned classmate. Hopefully, this is not what a normal day is going to look like.

Walking over, he peers over the tops of their heads to get a better scope of the room. It has a peaceful light green theme that vaguely reminds him of a forest. Over on the slightly wrinkled green comforter spread out on the bed is a giraffe and a bear stuffed animal. He had a stuffed animal once, it was about 9 years ago, but he could remember it like it was yesterday...

The sun hadn't broken the horizon and only a couple of birds that sang each morning were chirping. He's not sure what time it is but it holds no importance. His feet hit the wooden floor with a light thud as he gets out of his bed that's covers had been thrown and clawed at during his restless sleep, a nightly occurrence. The morning chill seeping through the floorboards and the soft nipping of the cool air over his skin attempts to claim victory over his endless bodily heat. Carefully stepping lightly over the wooden surface, he inches closer to the sliding shoji door until he's close enough to reach out and punch a hole that would tear straight through the thin paper. He listens silently- holding his breath- for any footsteps indicating that someone else is awake at this hour- more specifically, his father. Fortunately, his efforts come up fruitless; he exhales a sigh of relief, a small portion of water vapor condensing from his warm breath, and he pushes the door open just wide enough so that he can slip himself through the small opening.

He sets forth determined through the hallway, careful not to make a sound until he reaches Fuyumi's door. He opens it and silently walks over to her sleeping figure. 

"psst- Fuyumi." She doesn't stir; he starts to lightly shake her. "Yumi, wake up."

It takes a few seconds, but she starts to sit up all the while rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"wha- Tou?" He nods at her. "Why are you h- *gasp* It's today right?" She asks in a hushed voice. A huge smile spreads across his face. Her eyes practically light up, "HAP-" But he stops her as soon as she starts by jerking a finger to his mouth, reminding her to be quiet. Eyes wide, she quickly realizes her mistake and mouths 'sorry', before continuing in an excited whisper, "Happy Birthday, Tou!"

He softly laughs, "Happy Birthday, Yumi!" Now to the main reason he's on this early morning endeavor- to play with his siblings before he and Sho get taken by Endeavor. That whole thought was disgusting, except for everything that wasn't Endeavor. Ew- he did it again. 

"Yumi, let's celebrate before he wakes up- with Sho, Nat, and Mom too." 

Grinning, she practically jumps out of bed, "You wake Sho, I know he likes you the best, especially after he's begun... that. I'll wake up Nat- and," She gives him a knowing look, "Mom." That's right, she'd be terrified. It hurt, but he knows she didn't mean it, that she couldn't help it. After all, he looks almost exactly like him. His mom tries to hide it too- every single time he startles her or is too scared to look him in the eyes and tell him it's going to be alright. It leaves a sting each time; how much she's hurting, and how much it hurts him. He quickly wipes away the tears starting to form before Fuyumi can notice.