Meeting Abuela

I woke up after falling asleep in the garden after a long day of family games. The sun shone down on me, making my urge to sleep stronger. I looked over and watched as Camilo glowed in the sun's light. Peacefully sleeping with his arms under his head as a pillow.

"You're notorious for watching me sleep now." He opened his eyes laughing. "If I had a pillow I'd throw it at your smug face." "I guess you love staring at smug faces." He teased. I rolled my eyes and stood up heading back indoors.

I walked into Mirabel's room to change into some different clothes. Mirabel was spread across her bed with her arm draped over the side. Her glasses messily laid on her face. I slipped some comfortable clothes on and walked to Camilo's room. He held a book in his hands throwing it to the floor as he saw me approach. He always acts like it's a crime for him to read. I laughed to myself.

"I'm gonna go to (F/N)'s house to check on her, since you know we haven't talked since, you asked me out." He nodded in agreement and picked up his book again slowly as I walked out.

*Time Skip*

As I got to the neighborhood that me and (F/N) share, instead of taking the turn into her  house, I walked into mine. I had to lie to Camilo. He would not let me come back home after what happened yesterday.

I put my hand on the doorknob and froze taking a deep breath. I was still nervous even though everyone should be at the center working.

I walked through the door and headed towards the basement that I have never been allowed to open. I'm going to see what he's hiding. I was determined.

As I walked down the creaky stairs a familiar voice called, "It's a little early for breakfast, hijo." She began rocking in her rocking chair. Tears filled my eyes. "Abuela?" I questioned. She turned around eyes wide and motioned for me to come give her a hug.

"I thought you died." I cried. She rubbed my back. "No, your father... well, I'm not sure what he's doing." She shook her head. "He has this BIG plan to get the candle back for me, but I don't want it. I want my friend back and I want us to share the Miracle."

"Why aren't you mad at them? Mad at Alma like dad is?" "Because I know you are going to fix it. My gift doesn't work that well and I'm not sure what it is, but since I have my corner of the candle I still have small tingles when something good is going to happen." My jaw dropped. She has a gift?! I thought in my head happily. "And, nieta. I'm pretty sure you're going to save the Miracle for us, for everyone."

She began to run her fingers through my hair. "So how's my favorite grandchild? Don't tell your brother I said that." We laughed. "I'm good there's so much going on now, I don't hang out with my best friend that much anymore, I have a boyfriend-." You'd stopped as a familiar voice called to you as the stairs of the basement creaked.

"(Y/N), I didn't really trust you and I'm pretty sure you're not at (F/N)'s house." You saw Camilo as he turned the corner in the basement and saw you.

"What's going on?" I laughed and looked to Abuela. "Just in time." "So this is your boyfriend..." She nodded an approving look. "One of Alma's, nietos." He nodded and whispered a small 'si' under his breath.

He turned to face me. "But (Y/N), why did you lie to me?" He questioned, obviously a little hurt. I sighed. "I had to know if my Abuela was really here, and you would not have let me come back home from yesterday. I knew everyone was at the center so I just left.

"Well please tell me these things." He hugged me and placed a kiss on my collarbone as his head fit right between my neck and shoulder. "I'm your therapist, remember?" He mumbled against my skin. I laughed.

"Awww." Abuela giggles. "So cute, too cute. But, Camilo, is it?" He nodded separating from me. "I have a few questions about Alma." He nodded again indicating he was listening. "Is she still holding the Miracle to herself? And have people started to lose powers? I had a dream about it several times the other day and they tend to come true when I keep having them." She sighed. "Yeah." His eyes open. "Abuela, can you predict what's going to happen in your dreams? Or do your dreams come true??? Is that your gift?" I pressed.

"Yes, you figured it out." She clapped. Reaching into her bowl of candy and passing me a (type of candy). I hate these so I passed it over to Camilo who obviously wanted it. "Gracias, princesa." He whispered into my ear.

"Abuela, since your here. Can't you just come out into town and live like everyone else?? You can save the Miracle on your own!! Just come out and talk it out with Alma!" Camilo stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, resting his head on my head.

"Oh, (Y/N/N). That's the thing. Alma banned me from the Encanto."

"What?!" We yelled in unison. I looked at Camilo who looked just as confused and outraged as me. "Why would she do that?" He continued to ask. "In order to keep the candle hers, she made sure that there was nothing I could do to change it and ruin her perfect miracle. Your father hid me in here, for years I listened to you upstairs. And when I held our candle piece at night to protect it, I had dreams of you in the future coming to save the Miracle for everyone. Because it is missing a piece, it's going to fade." Her voice got quieter as she reached the end of her story.

"MAMA!" You heard your father yell from upstairs. You heard his footsteps inch towards the basement door. You noticed a group of short boxes stacked, only as tall as you when you were sitting. You both ran behind the box, but since Camilo was slightly taller, he shifted into me and locked eyes. "Who is it?" I shhh'd him.

Abuela kept a secret and pretending we weren't down there. "Here's your comida." He sighed. "A few more days and I can try again, or try something else." He put his hand on his face. "It's okay, you're doing fine don't stress too much." She rubbed his back before he went upstairs.

"He's gone." She said as she took a bite out of an arepa my mother made. I looked at Camilo. "Don't shift to me again and use your voice. It's creepy." I laughed. He did just that. "It is kinda weird." He smirked as his voice came out of my body. I exaggerated my shiver of discomfort.

"Alright, lovebirds. You two better head out before someone else comes. Use the backdoor, if you all still have one. I know you renovated a bit ago..." she rambled. I kissed her cheek and Camilo gave her a hug. "Gracias, Abuela." I smiled.

It was surprisingly still daylight as we walked outside, we snuck out the backdoor and walked into the center. There was a group of girls that passed us and Camilo gave them all dirty looks.

"What was that about?" I asked, confused. "No reason." He didn't feel like explaining. We walked hand in hand around the center.