•23•

Nora shuffled from foot to foot, boots making an unpleasant scraping noise against the worn sacramento green wood of the porch that belonged to her childhood home

Disheartened, she turned back to face the front door after seeing that Bella's ugly, rusty red truck was not parked in the driveway. 'I knew she'd be at the fucking Cullens.'

Marcus stood to her right, his body so rigid he looked like some crazy marble statue. His face was stoic, eyebrows set into a hard expression. His tall, muscled form looked even bulkier thanks to the ankle length, textured black winter coat he was wearing. After a lot of debate they had decided that he needed to try and fit in or 'look human', even though he was unaffected by the frigid temperatures of Forks.

Exasperated, she thumped him gently on the arm to gain his attention. "Would you chill or...loosen up or something? You look like you're gonna kill someone."

To his effort he did try, relaxing his face as much as possible and loosening his shoulders. Clearing his throat he clasped his hands in front of him. Despite his efforts he just looked...odd. 'Hopeless. So hopeless.'

Nora was sure that was partly because of the fact he wasn't wearing his normal clothes, instead settling on a pair of dark jeans and a well fitted, long sleeved black crew neck.

"Forgive me, my love. I seem to be feeling a bit nervous." Now that was a shock to hear.

Though she supposed she understood. If their parents were still alive, she'd be bricking it at the idea of having to meet them. What was worse was that she hadn't told her dad about being in a relationship, so this was going to be...interesting, to say the least.

"It'll be fine." Her attempt at comforting him was funny, considering the audible nerves that shook her own voice.

Having enough of both of their restlessness and the cold that bit at her exposed skin, she decided the longer they dragged this out the worse they'd both feel. So, giving his hand a quick squeeze, she raised her balled fist to knock on the thin glass. The wait for her dad to answer was long and agonizing, but when the door opened all of her anxiety left her so suddenly it was like she'd never felt it at all.