Early Life, pt.2

"": Speech

'': Thoughts

~~: Sound Effects

##: Change in POV, Location or Time

#Nobody's POV, five weeks later#====================================================

It was late at night over the Island of Patch, everyone in the Xiao Long Cabin was in bed including Taiyang after a hard night of creating lesson plans and banging the dent out of his pauldron after some kid in his class shot an explosive projectile at the wall behind him by mistake. Sometimes though, he could swear it was on purpose judging on the amount of times that this had happened in his classes. He understood fully well if it was though, kids don't like teachers, especially not at the average age for attending Signal. He'd be lying if he didn't at least think about doing something similar, especially while at Beacon.

He turned around on his back and stretched his arm out, feeling the empty space on the other side of the bed. This time, he knew why Summer was gone though, she had a mission to go to that was supposedly pretty far from Patch. Taiyang was uncertain if it actually was or not however, as she'd told him that the mission was somewhat of a secret, and therefore she would not be able to disclose much information about it.

He was very proud of Summer, not just because she was an amazing huntress, but because she was the only person who was able to connect with Yin. He'd hated to admit it, but even he had just resorted to leaving the boy be most of the time rather than to attempt to interact with him. Apparently Yin had a birthmark on his shoulder in the shape of a perfect star, that he didn't even know about! When he spoke, he spoke more politely and with more vocabulary than most adults he knew, but he was just so disinterested with his father that he never got much response from him. Matters were made worse when the boy took up writing in that notepad of his and reading books about various things, mostly hostile things, for most of the day.

This was a stark contrast to how well Taiyang got on with Ruby and Yang. They were both much more playful, and louder than Yin, his usual silence saved him a headache every now and then, but he just couldn't think of why. Recently, Yin had taken to telling his two sisters to be quiet whenever he was reading his books, when he wasn't usually too bothered by the noise before. The boy had changed recently, Taiyang was certain, but not necessarily for the better. He figured that he would try to spend some time with Summer once she came back tomorrow, to finally break through the boy's shell once and for all.

#Nobody's POV, 24 hours later#======================================================

Taiyang was getting worried now. Summer was supposed to be back hours ago. Usually being late like this from a mission wouldn't bother him so much, things like making camp overnight rather than continuing on while it was dark were not uncommon, but this was Summer. Summer always made it back when she said she would, no matter how much extra work she had to put in to do it. Perhaps that was one of the reasons she seemed to get along with Yin, her almost ruthless determination to make what she wanted to happen, happen.

Taiyang decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. She was Summer Rose. He hadn't seen her lose a fight since Beacon. If she was not back tomorrow, he would go looking for her. He and the other male member of team STRQ, whether he liked it or not. If it wasn't so dangerous, he would have considered bringing Yin along. An adventure with common goals would be sure to bring them closer together. Perhaps in the future, once Yin is strong enough, they will.

#Meanwhile, Yin's POV#============================================================

As soon as I'd gone to bed without mother being home, I knew something was wrong. That feeling of dread that had occurred whenever I looked into her eyes was now a constant feeling, I only wished I was strong enough to go looking for her on my own. Yang and Ruby seem to believe father that mother will be coming home tomorrow because she was running late, but for some reason, I cannot shake the feeling that something bad has happened to her. Hopefully father was right and this is all just paranoia.