Bye Bye Love

Heaven’s sky is gone.

That’s the first thing that registers when Aziraphale regains consciousness.

The second being a higher up angel is standing over him, which makes him aware of the third thing, which is that he’s laying down.

“Hello, Aziraphale. I’m Raphael.” the higher up says in a calm voice, as he rests a hand over Aziraphale’s body, scanning for any issues with his corporation. “We’re here to help.”

Aziraphale is in no mood to be helpful, “I’ll take my chances alone.”

Raphael takes the hint, and walks away, leaving Aziraphale to panic as he looks over all the celestial runes placed on his body, and tries to miracle them off, only to watch them flicker for a moment, then resume their work.

He turns his head to call out to someone, anyone, to help him get out of here, only to be met with a sight he’s been missing since he woke up; Jophiel, also lying down, as another higher up checks the runes on his body while Jophiel tries to get some answers out of her.

“We need to monitor your corporation and your celestial being so we know what’s happening. Rest assured, we will release you as soon as possible.”

As Jophiel, thankfully, manages to calm down after that, Aziraphale can’t help but reach out a hand, needing the other angel’s touch and reassurance, calling softly,

“Wily serpent.”

Jophiel turns his head at that, and for the first time since they woke up, gives a genuine smile, and reaches his own hand out to take Aziraphale’s, offering an insult of his own,

“Bastard.”

Aziraphale’s feeling better already, a smile starting to form as he fires next, “Fiend!”

Jophiel starts to laugh, getting louder, “Goody two shoes!”

Aziraphale’s getting louder too now, “Stargazer!”

Jophiel snorts at that one, whether because of Aziraphale’s idea of an insult, or because he’s just happy to be next to him, is unknown. 

Then he offers a different one, changing the game, also louder, “Sugarplum!”

Aziraphale’s eyes light up at this, then offers, “Starlight, star bright!”

And that just has to be so ridiculous, they both burst out laughing at their own ridiculousness, but don’t let go of each other’s hands, not even for a second.

Even later, when Aziraphale’s corporation has gotten tired and fallen asleep, Jophiel still holds on, and squeezes his hand gently.

“Aziraphale?”

The poor thing doesn’t stir, so Jophiel says again, squeezing a little harder, “Aziraphale. Wake up.”

This time Aziraphale does stir, and turns over to look at the angel next to him, offering a smile and a greeting, “Hello, my dear.”

Then he looks around again, pondering, “Where do you suppose they’re keeping us?”

Jophiel shakes his head, “I’m afraid I don’t know. All I know is it’s somewhere we can’t see anything, not even the cosmos. But I think they’re testing our corporations. Everyone in our Earth seminar is here.”

Aziraphale makes it a point to move closer to Jophiel, so when he lays down again, he’s now resting on Jophiel’s shoulder, and Jophiel just lets him, not letting go of his hand.

“Asked me a bunch of things I had no clue how to answer.”

Aziraphale looks up and asks, “What questions?”