Four

Sterling sat in the parlor, sipping the wine that Lucy had brought to them

Sterling sat in the parlor, sipping the wine that Lucy had brought to them. Across from him sat Mr. Warren Morgan, a man who typically kept somewhat to himself. Mr. Morgan was new money, having had a stroke of luck when his wheat harvest had been one of the only ones that survived the flood the previous summer. He had used the proceeds to buy an estate just west of Northbrook which had fallen out of the line of succession years ago. It was a small keep on a relatively insignificant plot of land without many people living on it to pay him their dues. But it had kept Mr. Morgan busy for the better part of a year and, though it was well known that Mr. Morgan rarely left his home, there were rumors of constant visitors streaming in and out at all hours of the night. Despite his inclination of keeping to himself, he had begun to acquire a bit of an insidious reputation for himself if the gossip of the townsfolk and Sterling's sister was to be believed. So, what was this mysterious homebody of a man doing in Lord Sterling Huntington's parlor? He watched him suspiciously as they drank.

"So, Mr. Morgan," Lord Huntington began, setting his glass down upon the end table next to his chair. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"My sister, you know, she married a Balienese," he said, setting down his glass as well, and smiling at his host somewhat awkwardly. "She's come to visit and has admonished me for my hesitance to get to know my neighbors. So I thought I would stop in for a chat."

"Well, Mr. Morgan, you're always welcome in Northbrook."

"Thank you very much, my Lord," he answered.

It was quiet for a moment, both of the men watching the other. Sterling had been waiting for his visitor to get on with the business he was truly here to conduct, as he highly doubted the man would travel so far for a simple chat, but Mr. Warren Morgan did not seem to be in any hurry so Sterling was left grasping for idle small talk.

"Are you expecting another excellent harvest this year?" he queried politely.

"Oh I do," he retorted. "In fact, I just stopped in town on my way to visit and it seems some of my new buyers intend to stay with me this coming year as well."

"That's wonderful."

"Indeed. In fact, I heard some other interesting news when I was in town this morning as well. It seems a wagon was found overturned on the northern road through the forest."

"Truly? How interesting. When was this?"

"They just discovered it two mornings ago. Very curious, indeed. You know, they found two bodies at the scene. One was a merchant. The wagon was presumably his but, oddly enough, there was no merchandise to be found."

"I imagine the brigands stole it when they upended his wagon and killed him."

"Quite possible. But the other man found dead, he wore the pin of the rebellion."

Lord Huntington paused as he always did when there was mention of the rebellion. He had known about the overturned wagon, of course, as they had found it on his land but he had never asked for details on what had transpired. This man, it seemed, had. But why?