Twenty Nine

Of course, Lord Morgan's issue with Briar's rule was not entirely due to her being a woman but, once Sterling was introduced and greeted the other rebels kindly and in recognition of most as their new King, he lost a majority of his support and re...

Of course, Lord Morgan's issue with Briar's rule was not entirely due to her being a woman but, once Sterling was introduced and greeted the other rebels kindly and in recognition of most as their new King, he lost a majority of his support and returned to his keep muttering and grumbling about his own failure to overthrow the Aldrich family.

The rest of his forces, however, remained in the palace and Briar promoted a few of them to advisor status, stating that rebellion was an enormous indication that her people were unhappy so promoting them to advise her on the happiness of her people was the best way she knew of to avoid such a rebellion in the future.

The people loved Sterling Huntington. His reputation led them to trust him. His personality led them to like him. The fact that he was a man of the people, that he had always dealt fairly with his own and had just been a modest country Lord before becoming a King led them to relate to him, to see him in themselves and to know that he had their best interests at heart. Briar couldn't have chosen better.

Lucien returned to Baliene just as grumpy and upset as Lord Morgan. Sir Alfred warned Briar to expect trouble from them in the future and she did. Having enemies was never an ideal situation but a Queen always had enemies and, for now at least, they'd been vanquished. She would be wary of their conduct in the future, may even send men to keep an eye on their activities, but for now she would celebrate. After all, she'd just gotten married.

She ordered the servants to make a feast. She opened the doors and invited everyone who wanted to come to celebrate her wedding. She walked through the ranks with Sterling, speaking with everyone from Duke and Duchess to soldier and peasant. She heard suggestions for her rule, what was important, what wasn't. She heard their complaints and their concerns. And she took it all in with grace, a smile on her lips.

"Sterling Huntington," someone shouted halfway through the celebrations and Briar and Sterling turned to see the Lady Cora storming into the palace, head snapping in all directions in search of her brother. Sterling rushed forward.

"Cora," he said in surprised greeting.

"You married her," she snapped, voice raising. Briar closed her eyes, supposing this was a long time coming. Lady Cora was, undoubtedly, here to make a scene. She was contemplating what it would look like if she ordered her men to drag the Lady away when Cora spoke again. "Congratulations."

Briar's eyes snapped up to her. Was she smiling? Sterling chuckled in relief and his sister threw her arms around him in an embrace. There was a smattering of uncertain applause which became louder when Briar joined in.

"Welcome Cora," Briar said kindly as she approached and was surprised to find Cora turn to embrace her as well.

"I've always wanted a sister," Cora whispered into her ear. "I'm sorry for how I've acted."

Briar looked at Sterling from over his sister's shoulder but he just shrugged, shaking his head in disbelief and grinning from ear to ear.

A few moments later, Adelaide and the Duke joined them and Briar thanked them profusely for their roles in all of this. Sir Alfred and the Duke walked away, muttering about politics, and Adelaide remained, looking over Briar who had come into her own as Queen with something akin to pride in her eyes.

And so that was how the reign of Briar Aldrich began. In the company of friends that she never would have made without her enemies. She wouldn't wish the rebellion on her country again. It's effects would be felt for years to come. But because she was hunted, because she had to survive among her people, within the lowest rung of her country's society, she understood it better. She'd learned more in her months as a maid than she had in her years training in the palace. And because of that, her people would prosper in her reign. And what's more, she introduced the palace to love again, to a King and Queen who made each other stronger.

In the coming decades, Briar and Sterling would face it all. War, rebellion, famine. But they would face it together. And because of that, their people would survive.

THE END.

Want to talk to fellow readers and the author LIVE about this book? Check out A. N. Horton's Book Club Discord! (Link in Bio)