Twenty Seven

She woke up in Lord Huntington's arms

She woke up in Lord Huntington's arms. She hardly remembered when they had made their way to her room or how they had done so without removing their lips from one another. They hadn't done anything too scandalous, just kissed and stayed up talking until they'd fallen asleep in each other's arms, and yet Briar awoke feeling safer and happier than she ever remembered feeling before. An innumerable amount of rebels were outside of these walls at this very instant, hunting for her to kill her, and yet here in this warm bed with the man she loved, she never felt safer or more at ease.

She watched him sleep, the sunlight reflecting off of his blonde curls as he dozed in peaceful slumber. She wondered what he dreamed of and found herself feeling a touch of jealousy for whoever got to occupy the space of his subconscious. That absurd notion alone was enough to remind her of her love for him. Only a fool in love would have such a thought.

He was Lord Huntington now but could he be a King? That was the thought that had kept her up for most of the night after he had fallen asleep. She had seen the way in which he ran his keep. She had seen the loyalty of his men, the love of his servants, had known of his honor herself. He had all the hallmarks of a great man but were they the same characteristics that made for a good King?

She tried to remember what Sir Alfred had told her when she had first learned of her uncle's interest in marrying her off to Prince Lucien of the Balienese. He had made the point that Kings sometimes had to make difficult decisions and a good man, an honest and humble man, may pause in the face of his morality. But wasn't morality a good thing? Particularly when making decisions which would impact generations to come. Wasn't making the moral choice always making the right choice? Even when it was difficult to do so.

She wasn't sure. And she wasn't sure what sort of king Sterling Huntington would be. But she knew that he would make her a better Queen and wasn't that all she could truly hope for?

It wasn't a moot point. He hadn't asked her to marry him but she had a feeling he would. She'd overheard his conversation with Adelaide about the rebels' demands. He had implied that he'd considered matrimony when it came to her, only that he hadn't wanted to be forced into it by a horde of armed combatants. And that was understandable. But then, would he propose anyway? Even if they were being threatened for him to do so, it was what he wanted anyway, wasn't it?

She frowned then, feeling doubtful for the first time, and that was when he opened his eyes.

"Please tell me that is not a look of regret," he groaned, his eyes still mostly closed. She giggled and sat up on the mattress, looking down at him through the curtain of her hair which fell over her face.

"We leave today," she reminded him. "Alfred will be coming to fetch me any moment. I imagine you won't wish to be here when he does."

That spurred him to action. Sterling leapt from the bed and ran for the door, pausing in the threshold to turn back and lean over for one quick kiss before he was off down the hall to pretend to wake up in his own bed. She chuckled at the exit and rose from the bed once he'd left to begin preparing for the trip back to the palace. She had managed to concoct a reason for bringing Lord Huntington along with them for the coronation and was only waiting for Sir Alfred to arrive to tell him herself.