Eight

With a huff of frustration, Sterling pulled the knot from his bow tie and tried again for the fourth time

With a huff of frustration, Sterling pulled the knot from his bow tie and tried again for the fourth time. He had always hated formal dress, had always been terrible at tying these things. And it wasn't helping that his hands were drenched in sweat from nerves. He had slept hardly a wink last night, dreading this day and the pressure it brought upon him. Sterling hated being the center of attention but all eyes would be on him tonight. The thought of speaking to dozens of beautiful women made him nervous but not half as nervous as the idea that one of them could be his future wife.

"Let me do it," someone said from the doorway and Sterling looked into the mirror in front of him to see his sister approaching from behind. She looked wonderful in an elegant pink dress and the pearls that their aunt had given her on her last birthday. She flattened out his lapel and began the process of tying his bowtie. He held his head up so that she could see. After a moment, she spoke. "Many of the women are already here. But I imagine you'll be hiding out in this office until the festivities begin."

She raised an eyebrow as she finished tying the tie. She straightened it out and then turned him so that he could see for himself in the mirror. She kept her hands on his shoulders and peered into his eyes from her place behind him.

"There is nothing to worry about," she told him softly, kindly. "You're charming, attentive, kind, and I'm told attractive. They already love you."

He kissed her hand and smiled in appreciation for her show of affection. She patted him on the shoulder once more before she turned for the door.

"Come out when you're ready."

He looked at himself in the mirror. He looked handsome enough, he supposed, but these women would be scrutinizing every inch of him and he knew they would find plenty there to scrutinize. He took a deep breath. There was no sense in further delaying the inevitable. So, after one last straightening of his bowtie, he turned and headed for the door.

He could hear the noise of the ball the moment he opened his office door. Below him, on the first floor, the grand hall would be teeming with guests eagerly awaiting the arrival of their host. He heard women laughing and calling to one another, as well as the low thrum of several men's voices as well. He cleared his throat and descended the stairs.

"Lord Huntington," he was approached the moment his feet hit the first floor landing. She was a modest girl in a bright yellow dress and exorbitant jewels. Her smile showed the gap in her teeth as she introduced herself. "My name is Lillith Morris."

"Well, it is very nice to meet you Miss Morris," Sterling said, stooping to kiss her hand as tradition dictated. She blushed at the contact. "Do you happen to know where I can find my sister?"

"Oh yes. She's just over there," the girl pointed across the hall and Sterling saw Cora there, talking with two other women whom he did not recognize. "The Lady Cora was kind enough to show me your official portrait. It is very handsome, my Lord."