Twisted Disney #3

Twisted Disney #3 - Tangled

Flynn was jerked out of his cell in the palace dungeon. He knew that the guards weren't even going to attempt to be gentle with him. He knew where they were going and that it didn't matter whether in these last few minutes of his life if they dragged him along or carried him in a pampering way. It just simply did not matter.

No matter what, he was to going to die.

Flynn passed rows of other cells full of other guilty prisoners who were most likely to be faced with the same punishment and he was. When they reached the end of the hall, he saw two familiar faces and in a final attempt at getting to her, he shoved his elbow in the guards' chests.

"Where is she?" he yelled at the Stabbington Brothers. They both looked up from the floor as they watched Flynn struggle to find out anything about Rapunzel: where she was, if she dead, if she was safe. They both shook their heads.

"We don't know. The old lady took her!" one of the brothers exclaimed as they dragged Flynn through the door away from them. Flynn figured it was her mother they were talking about. The same mother that had locked Rapunzel in the tower for 18 years. The same mother who Rapunzel was afraid of upsetting.

As Flynn passed a window revealing a deserted court-yard with nothing but a wooden pole and noose in it, the realization of what was happening set in. For the first time since arriving here, he really thought about dying. These were the last few minutes of his life and he could not spend them with someone he loved. Instead, they would he would spend them in misery.

Finally, they reached the end of the long hallway and he was forced into the courtyard. He was then escorted to the wooden pole. He stepped onto a wooden stool below the rope and his eyes closed into little slits that could just barely see the guards who had their crossbows pointed at him. Then, they placed the rope necklace around his neck and the stool was kicked out from under him.

He began to struggle to get down, like most would in his situation. For the first few minutes, he clawed at the rope around his neck. He hoped that if he managed to escape the from the rope necklace, he would also be able to escape the guards who had just lowered their crossbows.

Finally, he stopped struggling. He just hung there still alive even though he had a few minutes. To pass the time, he thought of her, of Rapunzel. He thought of her smile and long, blonde hair. He thought of the safety she was hopefully facing. And it was in this moment-one of his final moments-that he realized that Rapunzel might not be safe and it was her mother's fault.

He realized that Rapunzel's mother would keep Rapunzel alive for as long as she could, that she would use Rapunzel's hair as a weapon and not a blessing. A tear slipped down Flynn's face as he realized Rapunzel was most likely in trouble. Flynn had fallen in love with Rapunzel and he knew she had done the same with him. It was useless now, because he was seconds away from his death.

So, that was what Flynn thought about until all the life had left him. He never thought about how he would be dead. He never thought about how there was no escaping this fate. He only thought about how much he loved Rapunzel and how he could not save her.

§§§

Rapunzel stared up at the ceiling of her bedroom, her hair all over her bed and the floor of her room. She missed the way it had hung down her back in the braid but apparently Mother Gothel did not feel the same way. As Rapunzel stared at the ceiling, she began to notice something: the shape of a sun.

She held up the tiny piece of fabric Eugene had bought for her in the town. When she moved the fabric, the symbol began to appear more and more and more. Then the symbols began to glow gold, causing Rapunzel to jump up from her position on the bed.

As Rapunzel's feet hit the ground, a vision flashed before her eyes. She saw herself as a baby in a nursery. Two people, the king and queen, where staring down at her in a cradle. A mobile with the sun in the middle hung above her.

Then, her thoughts shifted to the mosaic she saw in the town. The king and queen had held a little girl with the same golden blonde hair and green eyes.

As all the puzzle pieces fit together, she fell back onto her vanity, causing a crashing sound to flow out of her bedroom and down into the main room of the tower. The sound of Mother Gothel walking up the steps caused Rapunzel to walk to her the curtain serving as her door and slid it open.

"I'm the lost princess," she mumbled. Mother Gothel shook her head.

"What Rapunzel? You know, you need to work on that mumbling," Gothel said in response.

"I'm the lost princess," Rapunzel growled in her face. Gothel backed up a few steps, causing her to trip on the steps and fall down. Rapunzel walked down the steps with a boldness she had never used before.

"Rapunzel, I can explain," Mother Gothel said in a lazy excuse to stop Rapunzel from hurting her. It didn't stop Rapunzel, though. If anything, it made her more upset.

"No, you can't. You were always talking about keeping me safe from people who would use me for my powers! When I should have been afraid of you! Now, you can get what you deserve!" Rapunzel roared. Mother Gothel scrambled to her feet to attempt getting away from Rapunzel and she backed into the mirror which shattered as it hit the floor, but before she could get too far, Rapunzel had her in choke hold using her hair.

Rapunzel began to drain all the life from Mother Gothel as she pulled her hair tighter and tighter until would only break if she pulled on it any more. Gothel fell to the floor onto the shards of broken glass. As did Rapunzel's hair, which got caught on a piece of the mirror.

Rapunzel launched herself on Gothel, ignoring the sharp dagger that was pulling on her hair. As she landed on top of Gothel, her hair was cut and the blonde strands of hair around Gothel's neck lost its blonde color and became dark brown.

Rapunzel shot off Gothel and reached at her hair that now stopped about halfway down her back. Her hair was no longer magical with its literal golden glow. It was now dark and dead.

Her hair was much like Gothel who was shriveling up underneath her cloak until all that was left was dust and her ancient clothes. Rapunzel backed up until her back was against the painted walls.

So much was going through Rapunzel's mind. She was thinking of how she almost killed someone, how her hair was gone, how it was likely Flynn was dead. She stood there until the sound of a horse below caused her to forget everything and move to the window.

She looked down to see Maximus who was strutting around down below. Rapunzel dragged the dead hair over to the window and tied it up so she could get down to Maximus. She slowly climbed down her long locks with Pascal. As soon as they were on his back, Maximus took off in the direction of the palace.

§§§

Rapunzel jumped off Maximus and pounded on the doors of the palace. She told the guards she was the lost princess. In a matter of what felt like seconds, her parents flew out of the palace doors and wrapped her in a tight hug.

Then, they took her on a tour of the palace. As they showed her the courtyard, she spotted a body hanging from a rope in the center, surrounded by at least half a dozen guards.

Rapunzel fell back, shocked at the sight before her. She knew she would never be able to recover from the sight before her. It forever live in her mind. She could never move on from this.

Because the body in the center was Flynn's.

Disclaimer: Tangled belongs to Disney, not me.