Café

Fluff, gender-neutral

The café had been awfully busy today. I had been running left and right to get everyone's order. I had not noticed how much my legs were hurting until I had sitten down. Luckily, it was almost the end of the day and fewer customers were coming in. I sighed as I sat behind the counter, waiting for anyone to come in. The café was almost close so it was not very likely that someone would come but I still needed to be on the lookout. My coworkers had already finished their shift so it was only me, the empty café, and the music playing in the background. The advantage of being alone was being able to play whatever music I wanted. I hummed the lyrics while starting to pack the few pastries still left to display. Suddenly, a noise came from the door. I glanced at the clock and saw it was almost closing time. I turned to the door about to tell the new customer that I was going to close soon.

"I apologize, Sir, we-"

But I stopped. Before me, stood an elegant man. He wore a formal outfit with a white shirt and a blue vest with a colorful tie. He had a cedar pair of pants with black and white shoes. I noticed his short brown hair, shaved on the side, then the golden lines on the side of his face continuing behind his head and to his neck. His arms had also similar patterns. It intrigued me and I totally forgot I was just staring at the man at this point.

"My apologies, are you close?" he asked, politely. What was that accent? French? Whatever it was, it sounded so nice.

I cleared my throat and shook my head. "We are closing in a bit but... Oh, wait! You're soaked!" I raised my voice seeing the puddle on the ground.

Water was dripping down his hair and to the ground or his already soaked clothes. "Yes. Unfortunately, it started pouring down all of a sudden."

I looked outside and saw the rain washing the windows. "Oh, wow. It really is."

"I will not bother you if you are about to close then," he added in a calm voice.

I shook my head and extended an arm towards the table. "Please, stay. I can't have you walk under this rain."

"But, I could not possibly make you stay longer."

"I insist!" I exclaimed with a smile. "Plus, I won't be able to go home either. I have no umbrella so we're stuck here together," I laughed to lighten the mood, coming back with a clean towel so he could dry himself.

He chuckled as well, finally smiling back. Man, his smile could melt ice. He was so charming. He took the towel and dry his hair as he added: "I would not mind being stuck with someone as beautiful as you."

My heart skipped a beat, my cheeks burning. I quickly turned around to hide my embarrassment. I heard another chuckle from behind. Usually, it would be so cringe to hear that from a stranger but here I was flushing red as a complete stranger flirted with me.

"Would you like a cup of coffee to warm you up?" I asked to try to change the mood.

I heard him walking to a table, sitting down. "I would much appreciate it."

Alright, now was my chance to show off. I took one of the round cups from the drawers under the machine while I took his order. "How would you like it?"

"Coffee with some milk if you may."

"Right away, Sir!"

I poured the dark liquid in the cup, the sound of the machine overlapped the melody of the music still playing. I hummed the lyrics of the song while preparing his order happily. Usually, I would be mad to do more hours than usual but I felt great this evening.

As I finished my creation, I put down the cup on a plate that sat on a tray and placed a slice of chocolate cake. I walked to him and placed his cup down then the cake.