Breakdown

Requested by @El! Thank you for it, I enjoyed writing it! :D [AO3]

Fluff, gender-neutral

Today was an awful day for them. They had a very stressful day at work. Their boss had been yelling at them because of a mistake they did, then they spilled coffee on their desk, and they almost had an accident on their way back... It was just bad.

I heard the front door opening then closing. I knew my love had just come back from their day at work. I headed to the hallway to greet them with a smile. From the text messages they had been sending me, they had quite a tiring afternoon. I saw them hung their coat on the coat rack then they took off their shoes, neatly placing them at their place. I liked keeping things nice and tidy so I was glad to see them respect it the best they could. They had their back turn to me, it was my window to surprise them. I stood behind my love and caged them between my arms for a tight hug. They jumped by surprise then quickly relaxed when they saw my face.

"Don't scare me like that, honey," they complained, visible dark circles under their eyes.

"I apologize, mon amour, but I could not help myself."

I gave them a warm smile, hoping I could ease their mind. I felt their shoulders relaxed. They turned around and hugged me back. "I'm so tired. Everything is pissing me off. I kept doing shit as well," they let all their frustration out, their head hiding in my chest. I stroked their head and listened to their words patiently. "Do you believe her? She said I was such a waste of air! I can't stand that job anymore!"

"You know," I started, stopping her monologue, "you can stop your actual job and try to find another one. I hope enough money for us to live just on my income."

You sighed, your hold was stronger around him. "I know. But I don't want to just depend on you all the time."

I kissed the top of their head then continued. "I do not like seeing how exhausted you are each time you come home. You do not deserve being mistreated like such."

It had been two months that they would come home on the edge, sometimes in tears. I could not bear the sight of it and tried to do something each time but they would stop me. It would be so easy for me to get rid of those who bothered my dear partner but they did not want me to step in. It annoyed me but I had to respect their choice. I would be there for them anyway, making sure to come home before they did during those awful days.

"I started looking for something else but... I just don't know. I feel like I don't have an ambition or a hobby anymore," they sighed. They glanced up at my face with a pout. "What should I do, Viiinceeent," they clung onto me, jumping around my waist. I caught them right on time and carried them through our home.

"I told you your options. You should suit anyway or I will do it for you, personally," I insisted on the word 'personally' to emphasize that they have to hurry up and do something on their own before I lose my patience.

They hid their face in the crook of my neck, giving it light kisses. "It's difficult."

"Everything is, mon amour. But you can do it," I tried to reassure them the best I could. It was not the moment to get mad at them because they were stubborn.

We arrived in the bathroom and they looked surprised. "Why are we in the bathroom?"

"To take a bath, obviously."

They turned around to see a bathtub filled with hot water. I took the time to decorate it nicely. I placed some scented candles, lavender scent - their favorite -, and let some flower petals float on the water. I added a bath bomb to it as well, making the water their favorite color. I glanced back at their face and saw their eyes glow with happiness. Their joy was contagious as I also found myself smiling in contentment.