Prologue

King Northrop stared out at his kingdom. In the distance, he could see plumes of smoke rising over the mountain. His troops were fighting well, but they were stretched too far.

The King had started this war many years ago, in his quest to become the best empire. He was just too ambitious.

When he started, he had a large army, but they were mostly volunteers with little training. He was a fool to bring them to battle, but now he fully intended to finish the war. He would not lose.

He retreated back inside his chambers, scowling at the guard at his door. "I'm going out," he snarled, and pushed through the doors. The guard made a move to stop him, but he wasn't fast enough.

King Northrop stalked down the halls, ignoring everyone until he got to the door at the end of the hall. He pushed his way inside and locked it behind him.

He stared at the large, dusty book on a pedestal in the center of the floor. He flipped open it's cover, and flipped to the "War" section. He searched for the current battle and drew a breath.

The page read, "Only the light can win. Choose wisely, Northrop." The King cursed the old book of Fate. Normally, it had the exact answers to the future, but recently something was off. It talked about light, and saviors, and chosen ones. It spoke in riddles that took Northrop months to figure out.

King Northrop slammed the book shut and barreled out of the room. "Put your best men on that door", he demanded, gruffly to the passing general. "Let no one see Fate."

And that's how it stayed. The battle raged on. But neither side could pull out a victory. Northrop's kingdom became increasingly poor, and their King refused to leave his bedroom. No one saw the Book of Fate for two years.

a/n: This is one of my first stories, so I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give me! Thank you so much for reading!