Chapter 15

TW: Includes c*tt!ing, sw0rds, and bl00d. Proceed with caution.

Crow struggled as he was dragged away, but the man that was holding him was too strong. He slung Crow over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and raced down the hall. The soldier turned a corner and knocked on a door.

"I need to meet with His Majesty immediately."

"He's busy." A voice called from behind the door.

Crow could hear voices on the other side. One said, "Let them in."

A guard opened the door, and the soldier sauntered inside, with Crow still in tow. Rhodes was there, sitting on a plush chair next to a large throne. On the throne sat a frail man, who Crow assumed was the King. Crow couldn't imagine how Rhodes had gotten there so quickly. It was just another thing about the boy that had surprised him.

"This is the boy, Your Majesty. The light that is supposed to save our world."

"He looks awfully weak, to be that important."

"He's a mortal, sir. They don't have the kind of training we have here. I'm sure your army could fix him right up."

The King continued to study Crow.

"I assume I will be accurately compensated for doing such a good deed for this kingdom, sir."

"That's enough, Rhodes. Leave us alone now."

"But, Your Majesty, if anyone should be here, it should be me! I know a lot of useful information on this boy."

"LEAVE!" The King bellowed, his mood clear on his face. His Majesty wanted nothing to do with Rhodes.

"You-your Majesty, uh.. Sir." Crow wasn't sure what he was supposed to do so he gave a small bow. "I think there's been some sort of mistake. You see, I'm just a poor, mortal boy. I shouldn't be here. I can't help you."

"Are you saying that my Knight lied to my face?"

"Uh.. no sir, I mean yes, I mean I guess so, sir."

The King stood up and wrapped his fingers around Crow's wrist.

"I'd like to see what you can do."

"I can't do anything!"

"Rhodes told me that your eyes glow."

"N-n-no th-they don-n't. Crow stuttered as he lied.

The King looked into his eyes for what felt like days.

"I see. So that gold ring around the edges is natural? I've never seen anything like it."

Crow started to feel something bubbling up inside of him. For a moment, he thought he'd be sick, but then it passed. He was shocked to realize that his eyes had lit up the room. He was glowing, and this time the light was harsh and blinding.

The King closed his eyes for a moment, and Crow seized the opportunity. He felt his hand burn where the soldier was holding him, but the man released his grip. Crow raced towards the door, but his path was blocked by the King's guards.

"Where do you think you're going?"

A sudden stream of confidence flooded Crow's brain as he held up his sword. Lightning cracked on the tip and he brought it down. His sword glowed red like the kind of electric saw that could cut through steel. Crow slashed through the guard with a quick swipe. His blade cut deep into the man and it came out covered in blood. Crow heard the King yelling behind him.

"Stop him!"

The soldier that brought Crow here was charging at him. Crow jabbed his sword through the air until it made contact. He retracted it once again and ran. He barreled through the door, not even bothering to open it. Strength and adrenaline had taken over his common sense.

Crow only had one thought as he rampaged through the halls. He had to find Dominique.

"RAVEN!"

He heard a short whistle echo through the castle. It was exactly like the one Dominique had used to call Klaern. He raced toward the sound.

He called out her name as he ran, and each time it was answered with a whistle. He was getting closer and closer with every step.

The next time he called her name, her response came from behind him. He stood in place for a second, calling out.

He pinpointed her sound and swung open a door to his left. He walked in with his sword ready. He found Dominique pinned between two soldiers. Both of them were bleeding heavily, and Crow noticed that Dominique still had her knives in her fingers.

Dominique slit the arm of one of her captors whilst Crow took on the other.The two of them worked together to leave the men withering on the ground.

Crow took Dominique's arm and pulled her out of the room. She thrust her map into his hands as he took off.

"Please! Slow down." This time it was Dominique begging for a break. She looked so tired from her struggle to get free, but Crow knew that they couldn't risk stopping, not until the castle was in the distance.

"We have to hurry before they get us."

Crow ran through the halls, his body and sword still glowing. They came across a couple of soldiers that tried to attack them, but Crow quickly stabbed each one. Nothing was running through his head. He didn't have time to feel guilty about what he was doing. He just had to get out.

After a few minutes, it was clear that Dominique couldn't run much longer. Crow tried his best to give her the same sense of urgency that he had, hoping it would make her faster. She started to pass out and Crow had to catch her before her head hit the ground. He lifted her limp body onto his back and kept going. There was no time to stop.

Crow apologized relentlessly as he ran. He had no idea if the girl had regained consciousness yet, but he really hoped that she was okay.

They had finally made it back to the dungeon. Crow passed by countless rows of cells, but his curiosity was gone. It was growing darker by the second, but Crow's sword lit the way.

He made it to the gate before he realized that he didn't know how to open it. He panicked and looked around for some sort of button or lever. He found nothing and decided to just hope for the best. He called on every ounce of strength that he could find and forced it all into the blade that he held. He conducted the electricity through it and sliced at the gate. To his luck, he was able to slice a little door. He hefted Dominique and charged through.

Once they were safely out, he set Dominique down behind the boulder he had used for a hiding spot before. He shook her and called her name. When she was finally awake, he asked if she was okay to keep going. He wanted to put as much distance between them and the castle as possible. Dominique nodded and Crow helped her up. He slung her arm over his shoulder and took on as much of her weight as he could bear. They continued their journey, without so much as a sound from the castle, but they knew that the King would be looking for Crow, so they had to move as fast as they could.