Chapter 12

The next ten minutes felt like a year, but eventually they turned the corner and entered a well-lit corridor. Rhodes warned Dominique and Crow to be as quiet as they could. Crow heard loud footsteps up ahead and caught his breath.

A guard closed a heavy wooden door and started walking briskly towards them.

"Rhodes! What are you doing? I thought you were guarding the South gate."

"Oh.. um, the General sent me on an important, and urgent task. I have to escort these two new soldiers to their commander and get them situated."

"Really? I was unaware that the General was bringing on any new recruits at this time."

"Well, I wouldn't expect them to tell you everything that goes on. You're just a lowly corporal and everyone knows you were given that position because your father has dirt on the Sergeant. I'm surprised they even bother to tell you when breakfast is."

"I'm a higher rank than you, castle guard. You're practically a servant."

"At least I'm a knight. The King chose to grant me knighthood for my bravery and dedication. That's more than you can say."

Rhodes held his head up high and pushed past the other man.

"Come along, soldiers. You don't need to pay attention to this rubbish."

Once they were a safe distance away, Rhodes lightened his façade and sighed.

"Sorry about that. Darius is kind of a.."

"You were amazing!" Crow gushed. "I've been traveling with Dominique for three days, and even she hasn't sounded so confident. She just threatens people, but you stood up to that guy and beat him with knowledge and class!"

"Why, thank you." Rhodes seemed a bit taken aback by Crow's enthusiasm.

"I always wished I could be like that." Crow turned to Dominique as if he'd just remembered that she was there. "I'd like to be like you too, you know."

"Uh-huh." Dominique nodded and passed a look with Rhodes.

"Alright guys. I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you off on your own. I was able to talk my way out of trouble with Darius, but I don't think I'll be so lucky with anyone else. Take the first set of stairs to your left and then walk down the corridor until you reach the final door. It should have a seven-pointed star engraved in the middle. You'll find Fate in there."

"Thanks for your help."

"Anytime. I trust you can find your way out?"

"Of course." Dominique held the back of her map. Crow could see that she had taken detailed notes on their route so far, so that they could get out.

"Goodbye Golden Boy and Dominique. Good luck."

With that, Rhodes turned and rushed away from them. Dominique shrugged and took off down the hall. Crow had to jog to keep up.

They reached the stairs and climbed as fast as possible. Crow cried for Dominique to wait up, but the girl ignored him. She stopped on the first landing to let him catch his breath.

"We need to go fast. We can't trust that boy."

"Sure we can! He seemed so nice, and he even gave me his sword."

"He's good at manipulating you, so what? We still need to be careful."

"If you say so."

Dominique sped off again, not looking back until she was on the next floor. She turned to see that Crow hadn't followed.

He stared at her for a moment before climbing after her. He wanted to have a word without alerting the entire castle to their presence.

Even though every bone in his body wanted to scream, he repressed the urge and said softly, "You can't trust anyone, can you?"

"We know nothing about that boy. He could be a serial killer."

"Like you're much better."

"What was that?"

"I said that no matter what he does, you've done worse. Can't you just let someone be nice to you without thinking they're up to something?"

Dominique just huffed and made her way down the hall, leaving Crow behind, once again. Crow was beginning to feel like it was a sort of pattern. Dominique would do everything by herself and expect Crow to stay behind her and out of the way. Crow didn't realize how much she had bothered him until now. It was like all the stress of the past few days had suddenly hit him.

"Go on! Leave me behind! It's your fault I'm here anyway."

Dominique flinched, but she didn't turn around.

Dominique told herself that she didn't care if Crow came or not. She was going to read this stupid book and figure out what was wrong with him. Then she'd be able to fix everything and send Crow back to his home. She'd be back to living alone and stealing to get by. She didn't need Crow anyway.

She pushed all distractions from her mind when the end of the passage was in view. There were two guards stationed at the final door. She heard a creak just in front of her and a servat stepped out of a room. He wore a cream-colored coat and held a tray with two glasses of water on it.

Dominique walked up behind him and stuck her knife to his throat. She threatened him, just like she'd threatened Rhodes at the gate. She gave his throat a stab just to be safe and shoved him onto the floor. She pulled off his coat and wrapped it around her shoulders. Then she picked up the drinks that he'd been carrying.

She tried a few doors until she found one that appeared to be some sort of storage room. She dragged the soldier inside and stomped on his hand.

"Where are these drinks supposed to go?"

"To the guards outside the room where the book of Fate resides."

The poor little man quivered as he spoke, hoping not to say the wrong thing and end up with a knife through his chest.

"Very good. Now which of these keys locks this door and which unlocks the door at the end of this hall?"

Dominique pulled a set of keys from the jacket that she'd stolen.

"Number 37 for this one and 59 for the other."

"If you make no noise, perhaps I'll let you go when I'm done, understand?"

"Yes, Miss."

The servant huddled against the wall. A small trickle of blood ran down from where Dominique's knife had rested on his throat.

Dominique fiddled with the key ring until she found the one with "37" engraved in it. She exited the room and locked the door behind her. She was so close to her destination. Only a couple guards to take out, and she'd be in.