Chapter 17

Crow and Dominique walked hand in hand through the village. They passed numerous shops, houses, and restaurants as they made their way. All of the buildings were cute and colorful. They helped to lighten Crow's mood.

Dominique wanted to go inside a little boutique, so they did. A small, but regal-looking woman sat behind the counter. She watched as Crow and Dominique looked around. She offered to help, but they declined.

Crow picked up a little mythical joke book to bring back for Alex. He had asked for a souvenir, after all. Crow set it on the counter.

"Is that all?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Okay. That'll be 13 nakfa."

Crow looked back at Dominique. He didn't know what a nakfa was, nor did he have any. Dominique put a handful of lumpy coins next to Crow's book. She also lifted up a small patch with the word "Northrop" stitched onto it.

"We'll take this too."

"Alright." The lady counted out the money and handed Dominique her change. "Have a nice day!"

They left the store and continued on their way.

"What's this for?" Crow held the patch that Dominique had bought.

"A gift, so that you can remember our adventures here."

"Thanks. I was thinking... that I should come back. I want to live in the mortal world, but I also want to visit. Maybe I can even think about putting whatever powers I have to good use."

"If you're up for it. I must warn you though, that it will be very dangerous for you here. The King either wants to use you or murder you."

"You're right, but I think I can do a lot of good for this world. I wouldn't want to leave you to suffer, knowing that I could help. And what about you? You're nearly as wanted as I am. Won't it be dangerous?"

"I've been a wanted criminal for some time. I'll make do just like I always have."

"You could come back with me."

"No, no. You need to have your own life away from this world and everything in it. That includes me."

"If you say so, but remember that the offer always stands, if you ever need to get away. Even if it's just for a few minutes. You know where to find me."

"Alright, Crow. I'll keep it in mind."

Crow smiled at her and squeezed her hand. They were nearing the end of the village now. Soon it would be just the two of them and barren land.

They passed by a shadowy alleyway and kept going, but something compelled Crow to stop. He released Dominique's hand and doubled back. Something felt familiar.

He stopped and looked up at the street sign. "Korova Avenue." That was weird. This definitely wasn't where Crow had first entered this world. It wasn't even the same village.

"Dominique, come here!"

Dominique ambled over to him. "What is it?"

"Look!"

"Do you think it's another Korova?"

"I think we should check it out!"

Dominique consented, and Crow took off down the street. He didn't recognize anything.

"I guess they just have the same name."

"That's so strange. I don't remember this." Dominique consulted her map. "There's no Korova Avenue in this whole village."