Regrets

Night time falls and It seems to be raining again. As I begin to doze off, I hear yelling almost immediately. I wonder how horrible mother feels putting us through this? I continued thinking to myself blocking out all the noise, but then I hear a loud scream.

    "Huh?!" I said while siting up and began to run downstairs to find the rest of the family in the living room.

    Grace was lying on the floor crying. Dad was strangling Mom. There were empty beer bottles on the kitchen counter, he must be drunk. I quietly made my way to the counter and quickly grab one of the bottles to smash his head. I gripped the bottle and swung at full strength at his head causing him to knock out.

    I sigh, "Grace, Mom, are you guys okay? What happened?"

    Mom pulls me in for a hug, "I'm sorry Issac," she says while crying, "I'm sorry I'm not a strong mother."

    "Mom.." Grace and I both say.

    Grace gets up and walks to the both of us, "You're the best mommy we could ask for," Grace says sobbing with a smile.

    "She's right mother. You do the best you can for us and we appreciate that."

    Mom pulls us into a tight hug, "I love you two."

    "Love you too mom!" Grace and I say in sync.

    "Mmm what? What happened? Why does my head hurt so bad?"

    He touches his head and groans seeing the blood on his hand.

    "Wha- What the hell?" he said.

    Dad looks over at the three of us and makes direct eye contact with Mom.

    "You, It's always your fault."

    Grace runs up to him, "Daddy please stop! Let's just calm down and talk!"

    He looks down at her and shoves her aside.

    "Daddy!"

    He seems almost completely blank, no expression on his face. Why is he like this? Has he always been this angry and violent drunk or not? Regardless, I'm sick of it. Sick of the way he treats all of us, especially Mom. She doesn't deserve it.