Back to School

"Come on dad," Emma said excitedly. "Drive faster." Emma was finally heading home after a long summer of learning new volleyball techniques, fun games, and lots and lots of conditioning. But the summer was particularly long because she didn't have her best friend Eric Matthews to keep her company. They talked on the phone once and a while, but nothing was the same as being in person.

"Em, I'm going the fast I can." Mr. James said looking at his daughter in the review mirror.

"Well, go faster," Emma complained but the humor coming through her voice. "I haven't seen my favorite person in ages."

"Honey, you'll have plenty of time to spend with Eric this school year." Mrs. James spoke turning in her seat so she could face her daughter.

"Well, I meant Morgan, but I guess Eric works too." Emma said sarcastically.

------------------------------

Eric was sitting at the table with his dad as his mom was in the kitchen. He was eating lunch just staring off into space. What he didn't know was that Emma had just finished putting her stuff away in her room and was on her way over to his house. Now, the Matthews had given Emma an extra key to their house since she was over there more than she was at her own house. Emma quietly opened the back door and shut it cause Mr. and Mrs. Matthews to look at her. She motioned for them to stay quiet as she came up behind Eric and covered his eyes with her hands.

"Guess who?" Emma asked as a smile crawled on her face. Eric dropped what he was eating and abruptly stood up, he turned around so fast that he almost lost his balance. Eric smiled and wrapped his best friend in a hug.

"This has been the longest summer ever." Eric complained as he hugged her tighter. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Emma said as she patted his back with her hands. "But Eric, you're killing me. I can't breathe." Eric quickly let her let her go and apologized. Mrs. Matthews came over and greeted the girl.

"How was the academy, Emma?" Amy asked. Emma nodded her head.

"It was good, I learned a lot, but I missed my best friend." Emma responded.

"Aww, Emmy, I missed..." Eric started.

"I mean I missed Morgan so much." Emma cut Eric off giving him a smirk.

"Jee, thanks." Eric said rolling his eyes. "Come on, we have so much to catch up on before school starts." Eric grabbed Emma's arm and dragged her out of the house. They talked about stuff like how Eric flirted with girls all summer and some of the dates they had. How Emma and Luke broke up and just decided to be friends since Luke moved again, since his dad was in the military. They basically spent the whole day just catching up and doing what they did best.

------------------------------

"Hey, have you seen...what are you and what have you done with Shawn?" Emma asked as she walked through the door. Shawn had these crazy sideburns on his face, and it just wasn't working for him.

"He's outside moving his car." Mr. Matthews told the girl. Emma thanked him and headed outside to go get Eric and start the school year.

------------------------------

"Help! Eric! Help!" Emma yelled as she ran through the hallway trying to find her friend. He was talking to a girl she hadn't seen before.

"Emma you, okay?" Eric asked her. Emma shook her head rapidly.

"No, no I'm not." Eric looked at her so she could continue. She swallowed. "I just heard from Claire, who heard from Becca, who heard from Alicia, who heard from Casey, who heard from Avery, who overheard Harley saying that he wants to ask me out." She grabbed Eric by his collar, "You go to help me."