The Treacherous Tutor

"What'd you got there boys?" Mrs. Matthews inquired as Jason and Eric sauntered through the back door of the house. Emma quickly followed behind as the boys dumped a bag on the table and sat down; Mrs. Matthews eyes quickly drifted to her. "Oh, and Emma."

"Books for our summer trip," Eric answered his mother. She came over and grabbed one of the books, examining it.

"Mm-hmm. Europe on a Students Budget, Backpacking Your Way Through Italy—"

"Nude Beaches on $5 a Day." Alan interrupted Amy, giving Eric a curious glance.

"You know," Jason started, "Where would you put the five dollars?" Emma scoffed then hit Jason on the back of the head.

"Emma, that hurt!" Jason exclaimed, rubbing where Emma hit him.

"Good," Emma told him giving him a sarcastic smile.

"Eric, you know what I just realized," Alan said to his son. "There may be a new book out that you might have missed. It's called Nobody's going to Europe If There Grades Don't Come Up."

"Oh, I read that one, I couldn't put it down." Amy pipped by the fridge.

"So, uh, how does it end?" Eric asked his parents.

"Well, it's not clear," Alan told him. All three of the teens looked at him. "The main character's parents just got a note from his teacher, Mr. Feeny, that says he's not doing well in European History."

Eric stood up from his spot at the table and headed over to his dad, ready to defend himself. "But dad that's why I'm not doing so well. Because I don't have any hands-on European experience."

"That's why we're going to Europe to get our hands on something," Jason vocalized, playfully slapping Eric on the arm.

"It's like I'm not here," Emma commented.

"Eric," Alan voiced sternly, "If I don't see a 'B' average, you're going to tour the continent from behind your summer school desk." Alan gave Eric a pat on his shoulder before exiting the kitchen.

"Okay, 'B' average that's not a problem," Eric said looking at his parents. "So, what do I need for that? Like B's?"

"Yeah, I'd like to see some of those," Alan said, "And also some of those letters that look like teepees." Eric had confusion flash across his face before he looked at Jason and Emma to help him.

"A's." Emma and Jason spoke at the same time.

"Oh," Eric voiced nodding his head. Emma looked at him.

"You're lucky you're pretty," Emma commented again. Eric gave her a sarcastic smile as he rolled his eyes at her.

------------------------------

Sitting in Feeny's class, Emma was writing stuff down and Eric was trying to see what words she was putting on her paper. Emma slowly turned her head to Eric's direction. Eric quickly looked away. They weren't taking a test or anything, but Eric knew that if he needed to pass this class, he'd need Emma's help to do that.

"Thursday's examination will include everything up to the French Revolution." Mr. Feeny announced.

"Uh, excuse me," Eric raised his hand, "Will we have to know who won?"

"Yes, you will need to know who won, and by how much," Mr. Feeny answered with annoyance laced through his voice. The bell then rang after that signaling the end of class. Everyone got up out of their desks and gathered up their books.

"Eric," Jason started, "I don't think this is going to work."

"This is a great idea," Eric countered, "We just to catch him in a good mood."