The Day After

"Okay," Alicia said smiling big as she followed Emma to her locker, "Tell me everything." Emma had a big smile on her face as she opened her locker. "And don't leave anything out."

"Alicia, it was," Emma let out a sigh, "It was amazing." Alicia squealed.

"I knew it," Alicia jumped up and down happily. "It was a long time coming." Emma nodded her head as she let out a small laugh.

"It really was," Emma agreed. Eric on the other hand was down the hallway talking to Jason about the moment too.

"Wait," Jason said waving his hand, "Who told who?"

"Well," Eric closed his locker and turned to the other boy, "I never told you I liked her, so—"

"Emma was the one to say something?" Jason asked but more stated.

"N-no," Eric shook his head, "I walked in on Cory saying something and found out through him." Jason nodded his head. This was also the version Emma told Alicia as well.

"I'm honestly not surprised Cory said something," Alicia admitted.

"Honestly, me too," Emma agreed.

"So, when are you and Eric going out?"

"This Saturday."

"Well," Alicia smirked as she nudged Emma's shoulder with her own, "Have fun, but not too much fun."

------------------------------

"Why have we been getting aircraft maintenance magazines?" Amy asked walking into the kitchen. Emma set down her pencil, and Eric stood up from the table.

"That's mine," Eric said grabbing the magazine; Emma let out an amused smile. "Yep, yep, yep, "Eric Matthews" exactly what I've been waiting for. Finally, it's here, and what else we got?" Eric grabbed all the magazines from his mom's hand. "Botswana Today! I got these guys right where I want 'em."

"What guys Eric?" Emma and Amy asked at the same time. They looked at each other, Amy pointed her finger at the girl.

"Stop that. Get out of my head," Amy said jokingly with a teasing smile.

"Sorry," Emma said letting out a soft laugh. Eric faced the two girls and continued to answer their question.

"Robin Leach and the guys that'll hand me ten million dollars."

"Oh, this is your magazine scam," Alan said as he walked over to his son.

"No, no, it's a system," Eric argued. "You see, I ordered a magazine for every letter of the alphabet. That way when the computer scans for a winner it can't possibly miss me."

"Come to my store," Alan spoke to his son, "Spray lettuce. Earn money." Eric let out a playful scoff and put his hand on his dad's shoulder.

"My dreams are a little different than that dad. 'Cause here in America, Robin Leach can hand a regular guy, like me, a bunch of money he didn't earn. That's a dream worth dreamin'." Eric turned to Emma who was looking at him with admiration, but not the kind that Eric was thinking. "Isn't that right Emma?"

"You're cute," Emma sighed. Eric let out a giggle as he walked out of the kitchen. Amy and Alan both looked at Emma, hoping she would be able to knock some sense into him. Emma put her hands up in defense. "Don't look at me like that, he's you're son."

------------------------------

As Saturday came and it was time for the first date Emma was getting ready in her bedroom. The day before she was consoling Eric since he didn't win the ten million dollars. She was putting on her lip gloss when she heard the doorbell ring.

"Coming!" She shouted, even though the person behind the front door couldn't hear her. She ran down the stairs almost running into her dad on the way.

"Woah," Mr. James said as he grabbed Emma by the shoulders. "Why in such a rush?"

"I'm going out," Emma said in a rush, "Bye!"

"With whom?" he interrogated,

"Eric."

"And you're dressed up because..."

"Dad, it's just Eric."

"Charlie," Mrs. James spoke as she came out of the kitchen. "We've been knew that Emma has had a crush on Eric, and now he is taking her out on a date." Charlie crossed his arms around his chest.

"Yes, Ashley but—" Charlie started.

"Dad," Emma interrupted him. "You've known Eric since we were three years old. Now I don't want to keep him waiting. I promise we'll be back by 11."

"Ten."

"10:30." Emma said opening the door. "Bye." Emma closed the door and leaned against it giving Eric a small smile.

"Hi," He said shyly.

"Hi," Emma reciprocated. They stood there in silence for a few seconds before Eric realized he was holding flowers he got for her.

"Here, I got you flowers," he handed them to her.

"Eric, they're beautiful," Emma said giving him a big smile, then smelling them.

"Yeah, they're lilies, your favorite flower," Eric held out his arm so Emma could link hers through his. "Shall we go?"

"We shall."

------------------------------

"And so, when Feeny called on Jason to answer the question, he stuttered so bad that the answer that came out of his mouth was 'goldfish'. Yeah, he didn't get her phone number." Eric said as he let out a laugh along with Emma. They were sitting at a booth in Chubbie's just talking to one another.

It was a little awkward at first since they were now starting to go from friends to a couple.

"Hey, I wanted to apologize on behalf of Cory, about spilling your secret." Eric said once the laughter dies down and it got awkward again. Emma rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"It's fine," Emma said giving him a smile. "I think it was all for the best because look at us now." Eric gave her another smile before they started another conversation. Both of them actually enjoying each other's presence, excited for the next dates to come.