The S.A.T Predicament

Emma set her tray down on the table next to Jason, who was seated on her left; and then Eric who was seated on Jason's left. Eric had his S.A.T. prep book splayed out in front of him.

"You know something?" Eric asked while Emma sat down in her chair. Both Emma and Jason hummed in acknowledgement. "This S.A.T. prep course seems to really be working for me. It's got me completely focused and prepared. It's like when I'm in the S.A.T. zone, all of my other senses seem to completely shut down."

Both Emma and Jason froze as they saw Eric spill his bowl of soup, and not notice it. Emma and Jason made eye-contact with one another, trying not to laugh, as Eric completely dismissed the fact hot soup spilled in his lap.

"Eric?" Jason asked, but more said. Eric hummed in acknowledgment, looking at both his friends. "You spilled soup in your lap."

Eric looked down and finally noticed his pants were indeed soaked with hot soup. He let out a shriek of surprise and stood up to try and get the soup off. Emma and Jason just laughed in amusement.

"I'll go get the extra pants," Emma said as she got up and went to go to her locker to grab the extra pair she put in there last week. It wasn't the first time Eric spilled something on his pants.

Unfortunately, when she was halfway out of the lunch room she remembered she gave them to Eric yesterday when he spilled soda on himself. So, now Eric had to walk around all day with soup stained pants.
------------------------------

"Well, that vocabulary review was exhilarating and revitalizing," Jason said, sauntering into the Matthews' house with Eric and Emma following behind him. "And to think I thought the S.A.T. 's would be my Bete Noire." Emma slightly smiled as she went to the fridge with the two, while Eric had a straight face. He turned to Jason.

"Shut up," Eric stated, walking away from the fridge.

"Eric, you okay?" Alan asked from his spot at the table.

"I'm sorry," Eric said, walking over to his dad. "I'm just so tense from studying for the S.A.T.'s. I think I got this stiffness in my back and all across my shoulders I just can't shake."

"Son," Alan said to get Eric's attention.

"Yeah?"

"You have a coat hanger in your back." Alan got up to remove the coat hanger, but not before Eric stopped him.

"What?"

"Watch this," Alan said, reaching behind Eric and pulling the coat hanger from his back. Emma and Jason standing behind them, both bewildered.

"This is the greatest trick I've ever seen," Eric spoke. Emma couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not. Eric finally took his jacket off, sighing. Alan looked at him, his eyes going to the soup stain spot on his son's pants. He looked back up at Eric confused.

"What happened to you?" Alan asked his son.

"I swear Mr. Matthews, I thought I had his extra pants," Emma interjected, holding her hands up in defense. Eric turned to Emma, rolling his eyes slightly, before turning back to his dad.

"Dad, I'm not doing very well," Eric finally spoke. "You didn't go to college, why do I have to go?"

"Cause someday your son is gonna have a career, and if you don't go to college, your son's teacher'll stand up in front of all the cool parents and say, 'Here's the grocer!' go to college." Alan replied.

"I don't think I can." Eric said, moving to lean against the island counter. "Why try? What's the point? We're all just going to die anyway."

"Well, aren't we nihilistic?" Jason said sarcastically. Emma tried to hide her smile behind her hand. "Or should I say vacuitous?"