Part-21

The sun rose in the east as it always did and, birds with their chirping filled the surroundings. People's activities started as usual. Nothing changed except the demeanour of the two persons standing on two different balconies facing each other.

For the last fifteen minutes, Sameer and Naina had been in their individual balconies. Throughout this period, they could only exchange some awkward smiles whenever their gazes collided. Now that they'd made their love confession, they were abruptly enveloped with shyness as they couldn't meet one other's gazes properly. They had never experienced sensations like this before. Standing there, Sameer wondered if everyone who had professed their love experienced the same uneasiness when they first met their partners after confession. He once again glanced at Naina's direction, who had just shifted her eyes away from him. At her evasive attitude, he couldn't help but smile.

The next few days were spent in the same manner, avoiding each other's glances and remaining mute. Just the day before Naina's examination would be over Sameer dared to gesture a heart sign and mouthed a silent "I love you" to Naina, which caused her to flush and flee. Staring at her receding form a cheeky smile formed on Sameer's face as he knew that she won't be able to flee from him after today.

On the morning of Naina's last exam, Sameer threw another written message through a paper ball where he wrote, "Aaaj raat jaldi phone karna. Jyada wait maat karana mujhe, bohot saare baat karni hai tumse." Naina responded with a shy yet ravishing smile.

While returning home after finishing the last exam, Naina could only think about Sameer. It would be the first time they would talk after the love confession. "What will he say? And what will be her response?" Her heart started racing fast thinking about their ensuing conversation. Her mind started creating some imaginary conversation, oblivious to the fact that the phone conversation wouldn't happen that night, something unexpected was stored for the couple.

*****

The afternoon became calm and quiet all of a sudden. Even the sound of birds was miffed that day as if they had returned to their nests early. The abrupt calm in nature served as a forewarning of the approaching storm. It seemed that evening descended earlier as the heavy clouds were progressively covering the sky, blocking the sun fully. Soon, after the departure of the sun, strong winds started blowing with heavy downpours. With a lightning stroke nearby the electricity went off leaving the whole area in darkness.

"Gaya... Aab pata nahi aj raat ko aayega bhi ya nahin.." Preeti stated, switching on the emergency light that she kept near her.

"Accha hai tere papa aj jaldi aa gaya nahin toh unke liye tension lage rehte.." staring at the darkness outside Bela said.

"Yahan pe ek light de jaana..." Anand's voice could be heard from another room. Bela grabbed another emergency light from the shelf and walked out of the room.

The clouds roared once more lightning in the dark sky. The rough weather made Naina concerned about Sameer. She knew that she didn't need to worry as he was at his office then, but what about his return home? It would be challenging for him to get home. Naina heaved a tight sigh as she prayed for the storm to stop.

After more than an hour, nature finally calmed down.

Just as Naina thought, Sameer's return journey was not as smooth as the other days as he had to struggle much to get any vehicles. Also, the storm and heavy rain caused a traffic jam that prolonged his journey. However, struggling much when he entered the society he found the whole area was absorbed in darkness. Under the veil of darkness, he failed to notice how his arrival had bought a smile on the face of the awaiting girl on her balcony.

Naina had been standing there since the time the rain had stopped, waiting for her Sameer to come. Her eyes being habituated in the darkness could easily recognised the shadowy figure of Sameer. Immediately, she dashed inside, grabbed the candle that was kept on the dining table, and opened the front door.

Samaina FF : Pyaar Hua, Chupke Seजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें