Part - 28

The evening of Diwali painted the sky with vibrant hues, the sounds of firecrackers filled the air, accompanied by cheers and laughter. Buildings adorned themselves with lamps, and the streets gleamed with the twinkling lights. From their respective balconies, Naina and Sameer gazed at the illuminated lanes and streets, feeling a pang of sadness in their hearts.

"Kaash tum yahan hote..." Naina's voice, soft as a sigh, drifted over the phone. 

"I wish hum saath mein hote..." Sameer replied softly, his heart aching with the weight of their separation. "I miss you."

"I miss you too..." She murmured.

"Tumhe dekhne ka maan ho raha hai..." He uttered wistfully. "Yeh phone pe baatein karne ki saath saath ek dusrein ko dekhne ka system hota toh kitna accha hota na."

Naina chuckled at his thought, "Tum toh bilkul mummy jaisi baatein kar rahe ho..."

"Matlab?"

"Mummy bhi kabhi kabhi aisa hi wish kartein hai jab woh mausi se baatein karte hain tab. Bohot saloon taak miley jo nahi do behen." Naina explained.

"Kya pata shayad future mein aisa kuch chamatkar ho jayega... Par abhi ke liye mujhe toh aapna imagination se hi kaam chalana padhega." He sighed then resumed, "Tum toh aaj bohot zyada khubsoorat lag rahi hogi, hain na? Accha yeh baataon, Kaunsi colour ki dress pehni hai tumne?"

"Pink... Saree..." Her response was a soft murmur.

Sameer's breath hitched at the mention of Naina wearing a pink saree. He closed his eyes, clutching the cell phone tighter. The image of Naina, draped in a pink saree, her hair cascading in gentle waves, her eyes lined with kohl, sent a rush of heat coursing through his veins. The knowledge that he couldn't see her at that moment only fueled his longing, heightening the intensity of his desire. "Not fair Naina. Main wahan nahi hun aur tumne saari pehni woh bhi pink colour ki." His voice was hoarse.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the line, Naina's cheeks flushed with a rosy hue as she sensed the raw intensity of Sameer's emotions. She was well aware of how much Sameer loved to see her in Saree. He even expressed his desire to see her in a pink saree once. This saree was a gift from Sehefali. Unpacking the saree she could only remember of Sameer. Earlier, she had planned to wear the saree only after his return to Mumbai. But, Sefali insisted her wearing the saree today as she had planned to click pictures.

Hiding her own emotion Somehow Naina managed to utter, "Main photos kichwake rakhungi. Tum jab yahan aaoge tab dekh lena."

"Sirf photo se kaam nahi chalega madam, tumhe dobara yeh saari pehenke mujhe dikhana padhega. Phir main tumhare kareeb aake tumhe baataunga ke tum kinti sundar dikh rahe ho. Mere nazroon se aapne aapko dekhna nahi chahogi?" his voice resonated huskily through the receiver, his thoughts consumed by the image of her in his mind.

Naina's breath caught in her throat at his words, her pulse quickening with anticipation. Her fingers toyed nervously with her saree pallu as she imagined Sameer's gaze roaming over her, his desire was evident even through the distance.

A gentle smile tugged at the corners of Sameer's lips as he could picture her, cheeks flushed with delicate blush. "Kuch bologi nahi?" He murmured softly.

There was a pause on the other end of the line as the listener still emerged in her own reverie. And then, Naina whispered, her voice barely above a breath, "Kya bolun? Mujhe toh bas tumhara aane ka intezaar hai."

Sensing the longing in her voice, a soft sigh escaped his lips, "Bas kal ka din. Parso subha taak main Mumbai pohoch jaunga, tumhari pass." Sameer confidently made his promise, believing in his plan's success.