Prologue

The TV statics before switching to the news channel, showing a middle-aged woman holding a sheet of paper in front of her. She reads off the paper, not making much eye contact with the camera.

“There has been a newly found disease, it seems to not have any effects other than cold symptoms at the moment. The government is deciding if the public should go back into quarantine to not spread this new disease as COVID did. Though this choice is highly disapproved by the press, this may be the case as the government does not want another pandemic. More information on this new disease soon at C.A.H news tomorrow. Now, Jeffery, what is the weather like today?” 

The TV is turned off and a large figure stands up from their original position on the reclining chair. His features are worn, his face wrinkled from the year’s worth of experience, and his hair a silvery grey. He places the remote on the table next to his recliner and scoops up his small white and tan dachshund, placing it on the floor. He turns to his wife who is standing in the kitchen making cookies. 

“Did you hear that Betty?” He asks “We might be going back into quarantine”

His wife groans and turns to her husband of 36 years. 

“If that happens we may as well just die already,” she says sarcastically, “Now help me with these cookies, Greg. Should I put butterscotch or chocolate chips into them?”