CHAPTER ONE

ROMILLY, commonly going by the nickname Romy, sat in the car with Clemson Murn

ROMILLY, commonly going by the nickname Romy, sat in the car with Clemson Murn. It was her most recent boss, she was directly referred to by Amanda Waller herself. Romy had a past with not only Amanda Waller but the entire Suicide Squad bullshit that the government put her through not too long ago. In the events that occurred, she became a weapon. Besides her freelance work, this was some shit that they just refused to let go of. 

"You do know how to use a gun, right?" Clemson asked her, to which she nodded. She pulled in around down the street from where Peacemaker, or Christopher Smith's, house was. In actuality, it was a trailer, though it was stuck in a home rather than a mobile. 

They all got out of their cars. John Economos, Emilia Harcourt, and Leota Adebayo had been in the other car whereas Romy and Murn took the other. Harcourt took the broken window and Romy crouched down to pick the lock into his home. Romy looked back at John, pushing the door open with her finger. She held a cheeky little smile, to which John shook his head, mouthing "Show off."

She grinned wider, standing up and stepping inside. "Fuck. I knew it was too fucking good to be true. Fuck. Fuck, fuck! This fucking sucks! Ah, fuck," Chris rambled on, and Romy sat down on the floor as she listened to him.

"You only served four years of your 30-year sentence, and you thought we were just gonna let you go scot-free?" Murn asked, taking a seat across from him.

"Yeah, I killed Rick Flag for you people!"

"Waller never told you to kill Flag," Emilia spoke from her position atop the counter.

"Waller said do whatever I had to do to make sure those files didn't get released to the public. I made the only choice I could," Chris spoke, though there was remorse in his tone. Romy turned, seeing John dig through Chris's fridge.

"Funny, for you, and how often only choice and killing people coincide," Emilia spoke dryly.

Romy watched John open up a bottle, digging through and eating it with a disgusted look. She covered her mouth, hushing herself from scolding him for the bad decision.

"What the fuck is he doing?" Chris asked, nodding toward john.

"I have low blood sugar, okay? So I'm dizzy," John retorted, and Romy almost laughed.

"You showed you were loyal. You're a born killer with expertise in every weapon known to mankind, and you've had experience with black ops across the globe, so I'm giving you the chance to stay out of prison and work for me."

"And you are?" Chris asked Clemson with a scoff.

"Names Murn,"

"Clemson Murn?"

He nodded. "I report directly to Amanda Waller," Murn gestured behind him, "This is Harcourt. You may know her from Waller's team at Belle Reve. She'll be your handler in the field."

"John Economos, who you also may know, is tech and tactics."

"Hey, dude, you're eating four-year-old olives out of my fuckin' fridge," John gagged, making Romy smile a little.

"This is Romy Barlowe. She's just about your jack of all trades, though she specializes in combat and weaponry. Be careful with her," Romy gave him a peace sign and a smile. "This is our newest recruit, Leota Adebayo, which means she'll be doing most everything else."

"Glad to be here. Ready to kick some ass, sir." Leota began, "And really looking forward to gettin' to know all of you. Even you, Peacemaker. Even though you're not the best guy in the world. And Economos, you seem pretty easy to talk to." John began laughing. "So, I look forward to working with you..."

"Harcourt, Barlowe, I feel like because we're the women here, we have to have each other's backs. Barlowe, you seem like you could be a really good friend, so I'm excited. Anything y'all need, I got you. And Mr. Murn, I have to say your outfits are really dapper. I'm really excited to be here, and I promise you're not gonna regret this."

"I know inside my mind," Oh my God, she's still going, "I'm not supposed to be giving a speech, but sometimes my mouth just does what it wants, so... close mouth. Bitin' my tongue right now." She paused, "Not gonna talk again."

Romy smirked, watching her squirm. Christopher scoffed, though he had a bit of a smile himself. "What's the op?"

"Domestic situation, known as Project Butterfly."

"As I recall, you guys aren't particularly creative when it comes to case file names. Project Starfish was a giant walking starfish. So, what, am I fighting Mothra now?"

Romy glanced at Emilia and John's blank faces, and she covered her mouth with the sleeves too big for her, hiding a growing grin. Chris's face contorted as he read their faces, "I am? I'm fightin' a Mothra? What the fuck do I fight a Mothra with?"

"That's not what it is," Clemson shut down their antics.

"Can I get a jetpack?"

"No."

"How the fuck am I supposed to fight a Mothra without a jet pack?"

"It's not a Mothra," Clemson reminded him.

"Still, my desire for a jet pack remains, because you got me all excited for it," Chris argued.

"We need you to do contract work," Clemson changed back to their original subject.

"Kill people?"

"Only bad people," Romy said.

"Whom we call butterflies,"

Chris sighed, "What if I say no?"

"You'll have to return to Belle Reve."

"What's to keep me from splittin'?"

"We still have that bomb in your head to track you with, and if that fails, we'll blow you the hell up." Romy furrowed her brows, not liking how casual the discussion was.

It was only Clemson who had been notified of her dilemma, of course, Waller knew as well. Romy suffered from bloodlust, a very strong urge to kill. It only happens after you've been resurrected. Which, Romy blames Waller for. After all, Waller had brought Romy back in the first place.

Her true issue, besides the urge to kill, is how much she's against it. She hates the chill it leaves on her spine, the practical purr of satisfaction her body feels when someone hits the ground or goes limp in her arms. It was a messy job, scratching an itch. It was an even messier job doing it for cheap pay. The pay was actually a standardized apartment, constant government supervision, and having to accept every job they gave her. 

Romy refocused on the conversation, hearing Leota say, "Fennel Fields, Manchester road. And the mozzarella sticks are dope," She snapped her fingers, offering her hand to Romy. Romy gratefully took it, standing up.

"You won't be late, will you?" Clemson asked her as they got into the car.

"We'll see," She sighed. "Who am I going after this time?"

"His name's Jack Laurier." He handed her a file, "He's a thief and a murderer."

Romy nodded, her stomach churning both pleasantly and sickly at the thought of what she was going to do to this man in a mere few hours.

"Well... how can I say no to a murderer?"