CHAPTER TWELVE

ALL of them sat in the back of the veterinarian's car, Adrian was feeding Eagly chips

   ALL of them sat in the back of the veterinarian's car, Adrian was feeding Eagly chips. Romy snoozed in the very back, her body catching up to the exhausting days it was thrust into. The truck moved to a halt, her body shaking and instantly jolting her awake. She groggily stepped out, rubbing her eyes free of residue.

   "Mom, there are way more butterflies than we thought," Leota spoke to her mom over the phone. "And the whole team is injured. So, I was thinking, like, maybe you could call in the Justice League?" She asked. Romy pulled at Harcourt's sleeve, gesturing for them to talk a little further away from everybody else.

   "What's up?" Harcourt asked hands on her hips.

   "I wanna apologize for my behavior." Romy sighed, "I've been an angry asshole for a while, but I'm getting a cap on myself. Just, since everything is about to go to utter shit, I wanna get any and all grudges out of the way."

   "Thank you," Harcourt smiled, "Apology accepted. I'm sorry for being skeptical and accusing you of doing shit you weren't involved in."

   "Never apologize for being a bad bitch." Harcourt laughed at Romy's words. They all moved further into the forest, able to see Coverdale Ranch.

   "If Waller's your mom, why's your last name Adebayo?"

   "I took my wife's last name." Leota sighed.

   "Doesn't that make you the girl in the relationship?" Adrian asked.

   "We're both girls in the relationship, Adrian. That's what being a lesbian is." Leota took out different helmets, placing them on top of a log. "Hey, Peacemaker. What do these do?"

   Chris began listing off all of their uses, Romy tuned all of them out as she loaded and set up guns on top of a log. She turned, seeing them trying to tell Eagly to take the Sonic Boom helmet to the barn roof. "I need you to take that helmet," Chris pointed to it, "and drop it on top of that barn."

   "No way an eagle can understand what you're saying." Harcourt sighed.

   "Oh, Eagly's no ordinary eagle." Chris smiled. They watched as Eagly pecked the metal helmet, it rolled onto the ground as the bird continued to bite at it. "Take it. Take it!" The bird turned, screeching toward Harcourt. "I know you don't like her. The mean, blonde woman has nothing to do with this." Emilia looked at Chris, offended.

   Chris and Adrian continued to encourage the eagle, cheering as he capsulated the helmet in his talons. They watched him fly away, optimistic at the beautiful sight of him flying. Just as everything was about to get into place, Eagly flew away from the top of the barn and dropped the helmet somewhere else. "Shit."

   "I knew there was no way he knew what you were talking about!" Emilia shouted.

   "Peacemaker is a great guy in almost every way but his biggest flaw is that he commonly overestimates Eagly's abilities."