CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THEY all stared at the figures, making them out as Fitzgibbon and John

   THEY all stared at the figures, making them out as Fitzgibbon and John. "Why did he color his beard like that?" Fitzgibbon asked. John halted entirely, trying to keep his composure together. Emilia motioned for Leota to hold her position, and Leota nodded.

   John sighed, "He thought it made him look younger and more handsome. He never had a girlfriend, so he thought dying his beard might help. But he was also lazy... and busy with his job... and he wouldn't dye his roots regularly. And when he did, he used the cheapest brand, because he was incredibly underpaid. Mostly, though... he never thought anybody noticed... until recently... when one guy said it to him all the time." Romy looked at Chris, who looked away ashamed.

   Fitzgibbon moved closer, "Humans can be really pathetic." With that, John was able to walk away until someone shouted.

   "HEY! THIS GUY PUT THIS DOWN HERE!" The fucker was holding the helmet. SHIT! Every single vessel was staring at John.

   "Do it! Do it now!" Chris ordered.

   "Activate Sonic—" The radio slipped out of Leota's hands, making them all panic.

   "What the fuck?!" Chris shouted as Leota shuffled through the leaves. Butterflied humans began sprinting toward John, John frantically running away from them as fast as he could. Romy gasped, covering her mouth with her hand as she saw John get taken down.

   Leota grasped onto the radio, "Activate Sonic Boom!" The butterflies that were on top of John instantly looked up at their barn, seeing it explode. Instead, they turned to run toward the barn as John got up, running toward them. "Active Sonic Boom," Leota repeated, watching as many of them perished. She echoed it a third time, and the entire building crumbled into pieces.

   Romy looked at the guns slinging around her waist, ready. "Adrian." She looked at him, "Promise we're going berry picking after this."

   "Berry picking?" Chris looked at them.

   "Yeah, that's gonna be our fourth date." She smiled. Chris looked between the two, deciding to bite his tongue as he moved the shield onto his back.

  Romy kissed Adrian's mask, the cloth rubbing up against her lips as they moved. "Ready, soldier?" Emilia asked Romy.

   "Yes, Captain." She smiled.

   She held two pistols in her hands, a bigger gun strapped to her waist alongside some grenades. Romy instantly unloaded bullets, raining the metal down against them. Multiple bodies dropped dead, Romy feeling her body tingled in excitement. Chris pulled out his shield, slicing through people. Romy grabbed her shotgun, cocking the gun with every hit.

   Her body fell to the ground, and she twirled the dagger within her fingers as she sliced someone's throat. Blood sprayed against her face, she spat out a clot of blood from her mouth as she pushed the body off of her. Romy continued to fight, a bullet wound sliding through her body. There were already multiple hits into her kevlar, the fabric slowly ripping until it would penetrate the vest itself.

   Her body dipped onto the ground, the stitches on her ribs ripping as she let out a silent scream. Romy panted, feeling someone kick her back. From the position, she was on her hands and knees and was forced to lay stomach down. Romy fiddled, grabbing her gun and shooting the butterfly dead. The vessel fell down, her dying eyes meeting Romy's. The butterfly creeped out of her mouth, Romy squished it in her hands before letting out another wince of pain.

   Emilia and Adrian were both down, she could hear faint yelling. Her ears rang, blood pooling in her mouth as she threw up a disgusting mixture of vomit and blood. Romy groaned, wiping her lips away from the mixture. Her leather gloves creaked with the drying blood, as she crawled toward Adrian. "Hell of a ride we had." She mumbled to him.

   "It's not over." Adrian shook his head.

   "John's right," Romy laughed, her stomach splitting in unbearable pain as she did. "You're exceedingly optimistic."

   Adrian shifted from his side, smoothing out her hair as he cooed. "This isn't it. We're gonna go berry picking and then move in together. You're gonna go into history and I'm just gonna be Vigilante."

   Romy chuckled, smiling at him. "You're daydreaming, Adrian."

   "No, I'm not." Adrian shook his head. "I'm head over heels for you, Milly." He dipped down, cupping her cheek gently as they kissed once more.

   Adrian was able to lift Romy up, walking them over to Chris and Leota. John leaned onto Leota and Chris carried Harcourt's body. Romy limped, the couple leaning onto one another as they walked through the pain. They watched as Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman, and Superman appeared in front of them. "You're late, you fucking dickheads!" Chris cursed. "Go fuck another fish, asshole!"

   "Say hi to your wife for me, Kent." Romy chuckled. They continued to walk toward the truck, making it to Mount Rouge Health Center. Adrian cupped the side of his hip, trying to play off his injury. Romy was already wheeled and hooked up to a system, waving at them as she was whisked by.

   "I'm fine, seriously," Adrian waved it off, "All I need is a good nap." Then, he fainted.

   Romy received medications and healed successfully, the door creaked as she looked up. "Hey," Chris mumbled, sitting down next to her bed.

   "Hey," She smiled.

   Chris looked at Romy, "I'm sorry you got dragged into this shit. You're a good person and... a hell of a fighter." Romy looked at Chris, confused.

   "Why are you apologizing to me, Chris?" Now, Chris looked perplexed. "You didn't force me into this shit. I'm glad I came. Otherwise, I wouldn't have met you... or Adrian, Harcourt, Leota, John. Hell, even Murn." They both chuckled a little. "Thanks for being here, Chris. You're actually..." She took in a little shaky breath, "You're like a brother to me."

   Chris watched as a tear struck down her face, his glove wiping it away. "My brother died in '08," Romy said before she could think about it. "We were in a car accident, and I turned up the music. He and I were arguing a little, he said I was distracting him and I was telling him that it wasn't a big deal. In the middle of turning to scold me, a semi drove right into us. He was killed on impact." She told him, fiddling with her fingers. Chris's mouth opened a little, continuing to listen to her. "He was sixteen. I like to think that if he had been able to grow up... he would grow up to be like you."

   Chris hugged Romy, the two staying like that for a moment before a knock pursued the door. They jumped away from each other, Romy frantically wiping the tears off her face as Adrian showed himself. Chris and Romy did their handshake, smiling as their hands rested in their final position. "Hey, Mills." Adrian smiled, "Ready?"

   "Yes, sir." Romy took his hand.

   "Where are you two headed?" Chris asked.

   "Dunno yet," Adrian confessed.

   "I'm moving in with Adrian." Romy smiled, Adrian turning to her.

   "Really?"

   "Really," Romy smiled, unhooking herself from the IVs. They landed in her car, her phone ringing. "Hello?"

   "It's Waller. I have another—"

   "No." Romy shook her head.

   "No?"

   "I'm out, Waller." Romy sighed, Adrian rubbing circles into her hand from the driver's seat. "For good." She shut off the phone, leaning back and closing her eyes.

   "Let's go home."

   "Yeah," Romy hummed, "Home."