CHAPTER THREE

THE door opened as Romy entered into their "H

   THE door opened as Romy entered into their "H.Q", as John called it. She had her first aid kit, Murn texting her that Peacemaker needed stitching up. She slid her chair to the other side of Economos, who was dealing with Chris's chest.

   "Where were you last night?" Emilia asked her. Romy opened her mouth, but Emilia cut her off once more. "I knocked on your apartment window like fifteen times, your lights were off and you didn't answer."

   "I was out,"

   Emilia narrowed her look at Romy, and Romy sighed. "I was out... on a date."

Murmurs broke out, and Leota wolf-whistled. "What's their name, girl?"

   "We're not that close yet, Leota." Romy grinned.

   "Are they cute at least?"

   "Oh, he's really cute," Romy confirmed, making Leota cheer her on. Chris pretended to wince and flinch, fucking with Economos.

   Emilia walked out, arguing with Murn. "It can't be you, you're the one who brought the butterflies to our attention. And it's not me, I put my ass on the line to save muscle man weekly. It's not muscle man weekly because he's the one who almost got killed. So, if it's not Waller, and it's not us, maybe it's those two."

   "Excuse me?" Romy put down her stitching instruments, cutting off the last piece for his calf injury.

   "Does anyone here know how they ended up on this mission?"

   "I got skills." Leota bragged, showing off her remarks.

   "Alright," Harcourt reluctantly nodded, "Then what about her? We don't know jack shit about Romilly,"

   "Do I really have to go into this?"

   "Don't," murr warned.

   "I say we boot her off, save us the liability," Emilia crossed her arms, glaring at Romy. The tension grew high, and just when Emilia opened her mouth to speak again, Romy's hand gripped the scissors. She twirled them to hold it, her knuckles gleaning white as her face churned into a scowl of bubbling anger.

   "Stop it!" Murn shouted, making Romy remember where she was. The guttural feeling passed, and Romy gulped in displeasure. "Teams are about loyalty and trust. It seems that we can't get past those bridges yet, so if you will..."

   Romy crossed her arms, "In 2016, right after the Suicide Squad mission, Waller heard about this special agent from the British reserves. Top marks, high up in the ranks, but there was one problem," Romy looked up at all of them, "She was dead. Killed on a mission just a year earlier,"

The rest of the team leaned in, waiting for more. "So, Waller had her resurrected. When you get resurrected, you're given this thing called bloodlust. It's an irresistible urge to kill. Anything. Animal, human. Didn't matter. As long as you can hear somebody's heartbeat fading away. That soldier was me."

   "So, in 2017, after my recent upbringing, Waller had Colonel Rick Flag come help me out. Apparently, he had experience with lost causes. It seemed he had a soft spot for them too because things got personal. We had a three year relationship, until what happened at Corto Maltese,"

   Chris looked away, guilt washing over him in large and destructive waves.

   "So why the fuck would it be me? I'm practically getting screwed over, same as you, Harcourt."

Silence overtook them, and Romy stood up sharply. "Just give me the goddamn file." Murn nodded, handing her a file. Flipping through the file, her eyes landed on his crimes. Her chest swelled in anger, taking a small moment to collect herself.

Without a second thought, she closed the file. Her eyes illuminated the thoughts she was thinking, and she knew that when she was done she would hate herself all over again.

|

   Romy washed herself off, walking out and changing into clean clothes. She gazed down at the fresh sweater Adrian had given her, smiling a bit. She put it on a hanger, placing it in her closet.

She looked at her phone, smiling at the contact name. Romy decided that in need of a distraction, to see if Adrian had texted her number.

milly!: hey, adrian, i just wanted to let you be able to put my number in your contact.

adrian <3: hey, mils !

milly!: would you wanna hang out later today? if that's cool with you, of course.

adrian <3: yeah, totally! say in 20 minutes? down by the park.

milly!: yeah, for sure.

   adrian <3: just so you know, its chilly outside, so it's best to wear a sweater. preferably mine ;]

   milly!: you're real cheesy, adrian, but i'll think about it.

   adrian <3: i try, mills, i try.

   Romy smiled, shutting off her phone. She looked at her closet, deciding to grab a different sweater on purpose. She closed and locked the door to her apartment.

She wasn't an Evergreen native, so it took her about ten minutes to navigate herself into central Evergreen. From there, five more minutes to get to the park. Romy was being swarmed with different flea market bargains, and it became a little overwhelming for a minute.

A hand swooped around her waist, spinning her to reveal Adrian in his cute glasses and perfect smile. "You didn't wear my sweater," He frowned a little.

   "Well, soon enough, you'd just want to see me in your sweater, and only that."

   "Does that imply that there will be more times we meet?" Adrian asked her, his heart swooning.

   "I'm hoping there will be a lot more times, Adrian." She confessed. "What've you been up to today?"

   "Oh, you know... regular normal guy stuff," Adrian scoffed with a 'pfft', and Romy side-eyed him. "You know, I hung out with my friend, my best friend, actually. We're real close."

   Romy hummed, "Maybe I can meet him one day," She spoke, not really thinking as she took in the scenery.

   "Maybe... yeah..." Adrian agreed, silently freaking out. They walked in unison, pointing out different things that caught their eye. Romy had bought him a new sweater from one of the markets, replacing the one she now owned.

It was a half grey, half maroon quarter zip with a black line through the upper half. He smiled, watching her pay and show it to him. Adrian silently vowed to wear the sweater whenever he could, finding the notion incredibly endearing.

   "Do you wanna grab lunch?" Adrian asked her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

   "Please, I'm starving."