10. Sirius's Head Appears in the Fireplace

{-} Ron {-}

"Blimey!" Ron yelped as he finished reading the open book Hermione was showing them at the library. "The Americans really didn't go to Ilvermorny, they were lying about Quidditch cause they still play it in America!"

"And that means they probably aren't even wizards. That's why they're horrible at classes," Harry pointed out.

Hermione nodded. "According to the book it's optional for wizards and witches to attend Ilvermorny. But they said that they attended it so they were lying. The thing is, if they're not wizards how do they have wands?"

"Maybe they stole them?" Harry said uncertainly.

Hermione shook her head. "Wands still wouldn't work on them if they're muggles."

"Also, about the language that Nico and Percy spoke in," Ron said, "should we search that too? Maybe we can find what language they were speaking in."

The fact that Nico and Percy talked in an ancient-sounding language horrified Ron. It was like Harry speaking in Parseltongue, but this time they had no idea what that language was.

"We can't identify a language by books, Ron," Hermione answered as she grabbed another book from her pile and opened it. She flipped to the first page and started reading.

"Why don't we tell Dumbledore?" Ron suggested.

"He wouldn't have let them in Hogwarts in the first place. Anyway, he keeps on ignoring me and I didn't even do anything," Harry muttered.

✭✭✭

"Hermione, you are honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met," Ron praised his friend as she handed him her own Astrology writing when they were doing their homework in the Common Room, "and if I'm ever rude to you again-"

"I'll know when you're back to normal," Hermione cut him off. "Harry yours is okay except for this bit at the end, I think you must have misheard Professor Sinistra, Europa's covered in ice, not mice- Harry?"

Harry had slid off his chair and was now on his knees. He gazed into the flames of the Gryffindor Common Room's fireplace.

"Er-Harry?" said Ron uncertainly. "Why are you down there?"

"I think I've just seen Sirius's head in the fire," Harry responded, moving closer to the fireplace.

"Sirius's head?" Hermione repeated. "You mean like when he wanted to talk to you during the Triwizard Tournament? But he wouldn't do that now, it would be too- Sirius!"

She gasped, gazing at the fire. Ron dropped his quill by surprise. There in the middle of the dancing flames sat Sirius's head.

"I was starting to think you'd go to bed before everyone else has disappeared," he said. "I've been checking every hour."

"But what if you've been seen?" Hermione said anxiously as they scooted near the fire.

"Well, I think a boy- your age, by the look of him- might've got a glimpse of me earlier, but don't worry."

The trio exchanged worried glances.

"Uh... Sirius? How did this boy look like exactly?" Ron asked, slowly.

Sirius chuckled. "I didn't look at him closely, I was gone the moment he looked back at me and I'll bet he just thought I was an oddly-shaped log or something." He frowned. "But if I remember, he had blond hair."