Chapter 4

When Annabeth arrived at her locker on Monday morning, she didn't know what to think.

The weekend had consisted of getting cheated on by her serious boyfriend of three years, being rescued by someone she'd previously frowned upon, and eating breakfast with the family of said person.

Oddly enough, Annabeth didn't really feel bad about the breakup. She thought she should've felt horrible, maybe come to school with mascara running down her face and chocolate smeared over her lips, but she saved herself the dramatics. She was fine, really.

What she did feel bad about was Percy. She didn't know if he would want her to mention the events of the weekend, or if they would go right back to ignoring each other as always. She wasn't sure which would be worse.

Annabeth's question remained unanswered because Percy didn't show up to his locker before first period. This wasn't rare; he usually arrived to class late with a donut in his hand and took his seat, nodding as the teacher scolded him. For some reason, though, Annabeth found herself exhaling a sigh of disappointment, her shoulders slumping despite herself.

She shuffled to her first class, ignoring the sympathetic glances she received from some of the girls in the hallway. She wondered if they'd known all along, or if they'd just found out over the weekend. Either way, Annabeth didn't really want their pity.

Twenty minutes after the last bell rang, Percy showed up to science class, a chocolate sprinkle donut in hand, courtesy of Dunkin' donuts. "Sorry I'm late," he apologized, his voice offering no attempt of conviction. "Traffic was crazy."

The teacher didn't respond to Percy's excuse. "Your lab partner is absent as well as Annabeth's. Make sure to sit next to her for today."

Her brain went into a frenzy. Was her lab partner really-? Oh.

She'd been so hyper-focused on watching the door for Percy that she hadn't even noticed the empty seat beside her. Her face flushed.

Annabeth turned her gaze to her blank paper that should've been filled with notes. The hand that grasped her pencil grew heavy. She felt him sit down next to her, a quiet breath exiting from his lungs. He smelled so familiar. He smelled like his house—of warmth, of comfort. How did he manage to find a cologne that smelled like home?

The teacher began his lecture again, and Annabeth's skin crawled out of her body when she felt a mouth near her ear whisper, "hey stranger."

Annabeth thought back to when she and Percy had been lying in his bed, soon after she'd woken up. She couldn't fathom how she'd had so much courage to ask him questions and speak to him in that situation.

"Hi," she said, barely glancing at him. It was enough to see his eyes sparkle as he smiled at her, his lips tugging upwards in their usual joking manner.

"You don't have to be awkward with me, you know."

Annabeth picked up on Percy's smug tone, and she felt a slight pang of anger go off in her prideful soul. "I know," she said.

"Alright."

They didn't speak for ten minutes afterwards, but Annabeth knew neither of them were listening to the teacher. She knew she wasn't listening because she was way too focused on Percy, and how he kept glancing at her every few seconds as if expecting her to start yelling at him. She knew he wasn't listening because he never did, regardless of the situation.

Finally, when the teacher turned his back to the class, she said, "thank you. For letting my stay with you. Not many people would've done that."

Percy seemed like he hadn't been expecting that. "You don't have to keep thanking me."

Annabeth shyly tugged at the sleeves of her sweatshirt, and she noticed how Percy's gaze followed her hands as she did it. "But I do. I mean, we're not even friends and you just let me-"

"We're not friends?" Percy asked. Annabeth gave him a look, because if it weren't for his goofy smile, she would've believed he was serious.

"You know what I mean."

"Whatever. I think we could be friends."

She raised an eyebrow. "You mean like the 'friends' you abandon every week? No thanks."

Percy rolled his eyes. "I didn't even suggest that," he protested. "We could do that too, though. I'd be down."

Annabeth was careful with her next response. "Do what?" she asked.

Percy made broad gestures with his hands. "You know, have fun. Adventures. Parties. Skipping class. I don't know."

Annabeth scowled. She was glad they were seated near the back of the classroom, so no one could hear their conversation. "Are you suggesting I become your next pass-time?"

Percy's face reddened. "I didn't- I didn't mean it like that. I just mean...we both came to an agreement that feelings bring nothing good, ever. Over the weekend. Do you remember that?"

Annabeth frowned. She thought she remembered something like that, so she nodded.

"Well, if that's the case, then neither of us can get hurt if we have some fun. Besides, don't you want to be distracted? From the whole Luke thing, I mean."

She couldn't tell if Percy was serious. For once, his face was unchanging and left without a trace of a smirk.

"Like...a fling," she said.

Percy's expression became more relaxed, which strangely put Annabeth to ease.

"Nope. Just two people having fun, that's all."

"No feelings. No dating. Just fun?"

"Fun," Percy repeated.

Annabeth's face broke out into a challenging smile. She turned her attention to the board, letting out a breath of exasperation as I began copying the notes into my paper. "You're insane."

Percy snorted, but she caught the amused look in his deep green eyes. "Your loss, Princess."