Chapter 20

WE SAID GOODBYE with a kiss in front of my Arithmetic class. It was a brutal hour, but I raced from the room as fast as I could to make it to Art of War.

I showed up early but couldn't claim my sword, because Tracey was swinging it in her left hand, the way professor Mia had that first day. Collin beat me again, and when I slouched to the cupboard to put my sword back, my eye caught on two small axes pushed to the far back. It gave me an idea; I was sure Lucian knew how to fight with any kind of weapon, and now was the time to see just how good he really was.

I patiently waited for him after class.

“Hey, Sweetheart. Jeez, you're early. That anxious to see me?” he teased as he walked in.

“Can I change weapons?” I asked, ignoring his flirting.

“To what?”

I ran to the cupboard and picked up the two axes to show him.

“Where did you find them?”

“They were here,” I said, and pointed to the cupboard.

He looked at the engravings and froze.

“Do you know who they belonged to? They were Queen Catherine’s.”

“Then what are they doing here?”

“I don’t know, but can you keep it a secret for now? Just until I find out.”

“Sure, anything. Do you know how to fight with them?”

He chuckled. “Do I know how to fight with them? That's an insult.” He threw one in the air. It flipped end over end and he caught it by the handle in an outstretched fist. “They're called Frankish Throwing Axes, and you have to be careful.”

“Just teach me,” I said, rolling my eyes.

He juggled with them one last time before handing them to me hilt first. “Why do you want to learn how to fight with them?”

“I like the way they look. They're easy to carry around and the sword looks uncomfortable to travel with.” I decided to go with practical.

“You chose them just because they are easy to transport?” he said, and snorted.

“Does it matter?” I asked, smiling. “Just teach me.”

“It's not common to fight with them. The Queen was only one of a handful of warriors that chose axes. As you can imagine, you have to be close to your enemy to strike, whereas with the sword you are allowed some distance. I guess Master Longwei wasn’t wrong about his mark theory.”

I rolled my eyes. For the love of blueberries, not him too? “Can we just start?”

The corner of his mouth twitched slightly. “With axes, fear of your enemy isn't an option. Close range, like this.” He spun around me so fast that I didn’t see him and he trapped me from behind. He came so close that I could feel his breath on my hair. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered wildly, and I felt the urge to kiss him.

“What is nice about them is that you have two, which means you have time for a surprise blow.” He spoke with a soft, seductive voice, and I swallowed hard. He moved fast past me again and faced me, while his other hand came out of nowhere and hit me softly on the left ribcage. “That hit could have cost you your life.” He gave me a quick smile and kissed me fast on my lips. I laughed. “Axe warriors are fierce, they don't hesitate, and they have fast reflexes.” His smile disappeared and his tone grew serious. “Now if you just want to knock someone unconscious, you can with the haft or the blunt side of the blade. I bet Collin will think twice after a blow like that, or it can be a weapon to throw.” He took a few paces backwards, putting distance between us, and threw the axe in his left hand so fast that I didn't even see it properly. It hit the target board on the bull’s eye.