Chapter 30

I WOKE UP SUDDENDLY, drenched in sweat. It was quiet except for the sound of a fire dying, and water babbling in a nearby stream.

A faint light emerged from an electric lamp inside the tent. Lucian slept next to me. He looked so peaceful, and I reached out to stroke his cheek.

A deep growl emerged from my stomach, telling me I desperately needed food. I tried to slide out from beneath Lucian's grasp, but when he flinched, I stopped. He went back to sleep, and I waited another five minutes. Crickets chirped like crazy and the singing sound rang in my ears. I decided to make another attempt to get free. This time I managed and made sure that the pillow I slept on was tucked underneath his arm, just in case.

I just needed some time alone, without his constant worrying.

The zip noise sounded as if it would wake up the entire campsite, but once I was out of the tent, I realized it was still quiet. I stared at the glowing coals that must have been a huge fire a couple of hours ago. There was no food left.

Not one bite? I picked up a log and chucked it in the fire. Orange coal dust rose into the sky. I jumped when I saw Blake leaning against a tree in the distance. My heart beat fast, and I took deep breaths to calm my nerves.

Blake guarded the entrance of the campsite and the moon lit up his face, making him look extra mysterious.

I swallowed hard.

Crap! Why do I feel like this around him? I shook my head. Every girl feels like this in Blake's presence. I tried to assure myself.

He was writing in a small journal but stopped suddenly. I stared at Blake. He looked up as if he was searching for something in the sky, and then he went back to writing in the journal. I assumed by the cloudless night, he was stargazing.

He didn't look at me when I reached him, but he buried his journal under his ass.

"Do you mind?"

"Sure, whatever," he mumbled.

His promise jumped into my mind; the one where he would give me his respect if I made it out alive. It's so not going to happen, Elena.

I sat down opposite him, resting my back against one of the trees.

I don't think Blake likes anyone much, except his precious Tabitha.

"It was really brave what you did tonight," he said.

What? Was that a compliment?

"I guess anyone in my position would have tried their best," I said, shrugging it off.

He huffed, and the corner of his mouth twitched. "How's the arm?"

"Hurts like hell."

He gave a lopsided smile and stared into the night again.

What does he hear?

The crickets started to work on my nerves again. I sighed and decided that maybe it was time to go back to the tent.

"You're wrong about everyone being able to do what you did."

"Blake, please. I did what I said I would do." I didn't want to talk about it. It might be his way of trying to find out what I saw inside the cave.

I can't break my promise.

It was already hard enough not being able to tell them anything. I was dying to know a couple of things myself. Like, who were those ladies playing in the dragon's garden?